BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a rear passenger enters the car, something from the back, Im guessing suspension cause it compresses, makes a metallic clunk noise. No other problems other than this noise. Car drives perfectly, no suspension noises over bumps, etc.

Only when a rear passenger enters the vehicle.

Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Opposite_Lock said:
When a rear passenger enters the car, something from the back, Im guessing suspension cause it compresses, makes a metallic clunk noise. No other problems other than this noise. Car drives perfectly, no suspension noises over bumps, etc.

Only when a rear passenger enters the vehicle.

Should I be concerned?
Check the bushings in your spring perches. I had the same problem a few weeks ago and found that they were damaged causing the spring to contact the perch plate itself which leads to rattling and creaking in the rear suspension.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Another likely source of that noise is a broken rear swaybar mount. Check to make sure the U-shaped mounts have not snapped in half. A couple of folks have also broken their swaybar end links. But the flimsy, aluminum swaybar bracket is the more likely culprit.

If yours is broken, BeastPower Motorsport (a board sponsor) sells an expensive reaplacement that will banish the problem forever. I have them on my own car. Beautiful pieces. A sledgehammer approach to killing a mosquito, but it was worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I second the broken sway bar mount theory. I've had mine break and it clunks back there. Had it replaced under warranty two months ago and they broke again. I need to buy the beastpower mounts.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, fellas! I checked out the RSB endlinks and bracket this morning, they look to be in good order (unlike my back, for having to crawl down there. ;)).

I don't actually know what 'spring perches' are, so I can't look there. Hints?

I checked for the clunk again, but it wasn't there this morning. Strange...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts