BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a rear sunshade assembly and from what I've heard the install is relatively straight forward, though time consuming. I'm wondering if anyone here could provide me with a couple photos of the parcel shelf on a sunshade equipped car. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to modify my existing shelf to suit or if I absolutely positively have to purchase a replacement. I'm not afraid to start cutting but I'd like to have an idea what I'm aiming for first. Many thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are great, thank you for taking the time to post them. It looks like the blind rests against the shelf but doesn't actually drop down inside of it completely, correct?

·
Registered
459 Posts
HAd mine out earlier, seen this too late.
Can't see how you could mod it in anyway decent, sure it's do-able, but rather you than me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would advise a new shelf from the dealer, they work out at around £90.

The shelf has type of sticky pads on the bottom that the blind locks on to so I would not try cutting your old one.

Also there are two bolts on the under side of the shelf that go threw the metal shelf and bolt up so you will need the two nuts unless the blind you have came with them.

·
Registered
459 Posts
3 nuts - was there couple hours ago so fresh in my mind!
£90 seems cheap, bmw surprise you in a good way and bad way at times...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maca, I saw your thread on another forum about the install of the side blinds. I must say, you're braver than me! I've ruled out the side ones as I'm unwilling to cut up my leather door panels but it's nice to see someone take the plunge. Regarding the rear shelf, I'd prefer to keep the alcantara covered version I have, which increases the cost substantially. Tischer wants $375 for the part as opposed to $144 for the standard one.

Which is to say, I'm assuming I have the alcantara one listed in realoem. I have the extended leather interior, you'd think this would include the rear shelf, right?:confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Previous M5 owner here who missed his car so went and bought another one :)

But my new one doesn't have blinds.....so for £150 from Quarry Spares here in the UK, I've purchased the shelf complete with integrated blind and motor from an E39 M5 that they had in for breaking. Included is the switch pack that you also (obviously) need and some wiring, too. My indy reckons on between 3 and 6 hours to fit, as it involves removal of the rear seats.

Would not recommend cutting the existing blind as (on mine at least) the blind and the motor is fixed to the underside of the shelf.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Another recommendation to purchase the new part. Modifying it doesn't look good at all, and there are some intricacies with the sunshade version you just do not want to go through the trouble of duplicating.

There are 4 nuts (p/n 07 14 9 156 628) that secure the sunshade assembly to the shelf, and 3 nuts (p/n 07 14 7 134 319) that secure the shelf to the body.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts