BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed my rear subframe bushings were not in properly. They looked like they were slipping out of the insert and not flush with the bottom of the hole. I pressed in the new ones to show the flush mount, imagine the same image only the bushing was not pressed in all the way and left out about 2cm. This was causing wear on the bottom of the floorboards. (See image). Anyone ever experienced this?

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi,

That's not wear. It's rust! The floor is triple skinned in that area. The two inner skins are welded to the shaft that you put the bolt through. The outer skin is not welded to the shaft & over time water gets in & rusts it away causing one side (in most cases) of the car to be lower on one side than the other. Basically the rear axle has collapsed through that first skin into the other two.

If you look at my thread you will see what I did to remedy the problem so it never happens again.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read your thread but don't seem to recall that so I will rerview. Everything seem solid at the two studs and I thought the rust was just surface. I guess I need to examine it more closely. If that rusts out it will be difficult to fix!

Thanks

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Man your thread is amazing!

I spoke with my mechanic and he informed me that the rust was superficial (the car has almost no rust anywhere and the rust that is there is surface). The area rusted as a result of the metal to metal contact from the incorrect bushing installation. I know he has scraped and painted the area. I will definitely keep a close watch on the area in the future.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts