BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my subframe bushes replaced, and would like to ask everyones opinions...

I read last year about Power Flex bushes transmitting too much noise and vibration into the cabin. I also read a thread about Power Flex working on an improved version?

Do these exist, and has anyone tried them?

I really need to decide between the two before the car goes off to Faz for a week (so I need to decide quickly as it is going in for work imminently!)

As for use, the car is predominantly a road vehicle and unlikey to see much time on a track... Being an LE it is on 18" wheels with 245/40 tyres.

If I get Faz to re-fit the car with OE bushes, how long are these likely to last approximately (I suspect that age will probably destroy them rather than miles / track abuse)

Thanks for any advice you can offer...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would stick with the OEM bushes all round unless it was going to be used for more track work than road work. I think OEM is a good compromise (not a compromise at all really) between good road going characteristics and still able to handle the odd track conditions. I was going to throw in Powerflex in all round, then decided that as the car has seen a track once in 3 yrs and is my luxo cruiser, why compromise my comfort where the car sees 99% of its life. .........cruising the highway.

I think we sometimes get caught up in the aftermarket parts dilemma simply because they exist.........sometimes, OEM is the best option.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
+1 with DCR.
I think they'll be good for 60k miles plus, if not double...Fairly sure both the cars I've had are / were still on the originals.

·
Registered
54 Posts
bushes

I just finished my m5 resotore and went the stiff way for my bushes and mounts.

All I can tell you is that the road vibration from the rear poly bushes is minimal, and not at all intrusive. I used AKG subframe and trailing arm bushes and I can tell you that they are the best quality parts I have seen. They are such a tight fit that I needed to chill them and hammer in but they are now perfect. I used solid aluminum engine and trans mounts as well, and despite some vibration from the engine(actually not bad), not much from the road.

I would go with poly if you want performance feel and the ones from AKG are the best IMO:M5thumbs:
I also used racing king delrin subframe rings that matched with the bushings well.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I would personally go for OEM bushes ......

My mechanic has recently fitted a set to Sebring Sienna and she performed marvellously at a recent track day at Cadwell Park and an earlier trip to the Nurburgring , without showing any signs of deterioration yet .

At approx £25 each , they are a relatively cheap handling improver and should be good for 60 to 80,000 miles of reasonably brisk driving !

Has Faz not made any suggestion ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would personally go for OEM bushes ......

My mechanic has recently fitted a set to Sebring Sienna and she performed marvellously at a recent track day at Cadwell Park and an earlier trip to the Nurburgring , without showing any signs of deterioration yet .

At approx £25 each , they are a relatively cheap handling improver and should be good for 60 to 80,000 miles of reasonably brisk driving !

Has Faz not made any suggestion ?

Yes, I've already had an opinion from Faz and I do very much value his advice, I just wanted a wider collective opinion from more than one source... Not a cheap job to get the bushes wrong and have them replaced again!

I think to be honest, the Nurburgring is probably the only track I am ever likely to use it on if at all I get the chance... It is certianly unlikely to be seen on the UK circuits...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Stay OEM, I have used my car on trackdays here in the UK and also quite heavily at the Ring, never found them wanting so far.

Jon

·
Registered
121 Posts
Now, this is a good thread. Saved me asking the the very same question!

O.E. bushes it is then!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts