BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was this a delete option?

It's just quite a few US M5s seem to have a lack of rear spoiler and I have to say I prefer the look of the car without it.

Don't think I've ever seen a UK M5 without one though.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I could be wrong but i think it was an optional extra not standard, although maybe some cars, like the Limited Edition, had it as standard? My 94 six-speeder had it fitted as an option but the last owner had it removed, and i agree it looks cleaner without it.

Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I dont have one either and prefer it that way. Cant find my build sheet so not sure if its mentioned though.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Mine was on the passenger seat when I bought the car so I had it put back on.

Wish I hadn't though, I like them without now!

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Mine too, are they easily removed ? or does it require the attention of a bodyshop once removed i.e. to fill/spray bolt holes?

Phil.

Rob Plummer said:
MUCH better without spoiler.

Unfortunately mine has one on................ :sad1:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok I'll go against the grain here...
Mine has one and I like the looks :haha:
Mine has a crack however and if any of you are looking to remove yours I would like to buy it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You'd probably be better off buying a decent second hand boot lid without spoiler holes from a breaker Phil.

That's what I'm going to do as my boot lid is rusting on the bottom edge anyway.

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Mine has it without. I really do like it without also!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
BURTON said:
Mine has it without. I really do like it without also!
-------

I was thinking of getting a spoiler - but I hear it is not an easy job to do, and its better to buy the whole boot lid with one already attached.

Anyone attached one themselves?

I like the look of a spoiler - but I like the fact it provides at least some extra downforce at speed. So I would probably be in favour - well at least till I had it put on anyway.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fakey Jakey already has one - I've decided to remove it when it goes for paint though, so will also have one for sale.

My genuine throwing stars go for polishing next week, it gets paint next week too. I've a set of genuine M5 clocks to go in (I missed the oil temp gauge and the swingo-anti-fun-meter was driving me mad). I'll be pleased with it then, or as pleased as I can be with a 525 Sport. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
unesential said:
I like my spoiler and it seperates M from he rest of the 5,ers.
You'll probably find most with spoilers aren't M5s. On M5s it seems it was an option whereas every 525 Sport, 535 Sport and 540 Sport had one fitted as standard.

(Although I only speak for the UK - you may well be right about the US.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
(Although I only speak for the UK - you may well be right about the US.)[/QUOTE]

I think you are correct as far as the US is concerned. I have not seen any other M5s with the spoiler. Or any other E34s for that matter. There are quite a few 525s around here.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm looking at my build sheet and it is ambiguos, it has the rear spoiler as item '325'. There are two columns which read something like this:

Extras
(*=AG extra)

325 Rear Spoiler 325 * Rear Spoiler
401 * Electric Sliding Roof 458 * Electric Front Seats Adj
500 * Headlight Wash System 530 * Air Conditioning
564 * Interior Light Package 687 * Radio Fitting Preparation
812 * GB Specification

So I've got 'Rear Spoiler' marked as both standard (?) and an AG extra? also what was GB specification? Lights certainly, RHD definitely, but I also have an electric rear windscreen blind, no build number?

My guess is that all these motors were hand built at Garching Ag, and they could have fitted what ever they had at hand? Remember these baby's cost the earth at £55k in 1992, they would still buy you a lot of property today (In certain parts of the UK).

I just don't know?

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers Brian

E34M5 Scott said:
(Although I only speak for the UK - you may well be right about the US.)
I think you are correct as far as the US is concerned. I have not seen any other M5s with the spoiler. Or any other E34s for that matter. There are quite a few 525s around here.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
might be tricky trying to find a standard lid in Avus Blue, Bryn. I think I'll stick with it as is - but definately think they look a wee bit better without, mind you I prefer the turbine covers as well.

Cheers,
Phil.

Bryn said:
You'd probably be better off buying a decent second hand boot lid without spoiler holes from a breaker Phil.

That's what I'm going to do as my boot lid is rusting on the bottom edge anyway.

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've seen an ad in several recent BMW mags advertising one here locally (Aberdeen) - genuine E34 rear spolier, new, boxed and unpainted - think £40 or something. I'll look out the contact number if anyone wants it.

Cheers,
David.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts