BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in methods for removing spoiler without damnaging paint. A seach came up with one method, fishing line and WD40. Any others with experience removing and what effect the epoxy had on paint finish?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just removed mine the other day with a heat gun and some fishing line so I could add my new Rieger trunk spoiler. Worked great and didn't harm the paint one bit.

·
Registered
240 Posts
+1 I removed my spoiler to instal my ac schnitzer one. I didnt even use a heat gun. I basically used a fishing line and went back and forth with it while pulling up on the fishing line (to avoid paint damage). There was some tape left over i bascally rolled the tape off with my thumb and used goo gone to get rid of the sticky film it left behind.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
the goo gone didnt harm your paint at all?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Ended up having body shop do it and they used heat gun and it came right off.

Only thing is it looks like a clearcoat line along spoiler where it appears clearcoat was sprayed after the spoiler was installed. Anybody else experience this?

Body shop thinks it can be wet sanded and buffed.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I just removed mine the other day with a heat gun and some fishing line so I could add my new Rieger trunk spoiler. Worked great and didn't harm the paint one bit.
Can we see a picture of your new spoiler?

·
Registered
240 Posts
actually i do have that line on my car but it is now covered up by the spoiler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts