BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I order my 02 m5 I thought I got all the options. On Edmunds they show a Rear Side-Impact Airbags (code 261) as a $0 cost option. My order from BMW does not show this code and looking at the 2001 litature it looks like an option. My 00 M5 had the rear airbags and they were deactivated. I purchased the car used so I did not know it was an option.

So my question is will my 02 m5 come with the rear airbags if I did not select option 261?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have reason to believe that if you didn't specifically order them you won't get them.

I just took delivery of a 2002 M5 off the showroom floor. I asked to have the rear air bags initialized. After they attempted to do so they announced that they weren't there!

I made the same statement that they were listed on the BMW web site as standard. They said they were a no-cost option.

I couldn't believe a dealer (or anyone) would knowingly order such a performance car without the full complement of air bags since they can anyhow be activated if one has small children. (Mine are 14 and 16).

I am frankly shocked that BMW would consider selling this car without them. 'No cost option' would seem to imply that the cost is already factored in.

I imagine it was an ordering error on the dealer's part. They didn't dispute this observation.

PS: I asked if they could be retrofitted. They said definitely not.

I would appreciate if you would let me know if you find out otherwise. I feel very uncomfortable having less than the full complement of safety features on this car.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My car has the panels in the rear doors, but there is a sticker on each rear door surround telling me they don't work. Very strange.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
My car has the panels in the rear doors, but there is a sticker on each rear door surround telling me they don't work. Very strange.
I guess it's a safety consideration. They don't know if you will have small children sitting back there so rather than take chances, they ship them deactivated, then leave it to the customer to decide whether (at no cost) to activate them.

I would guess that a surprising % of people never bother to activate them, so to try and save costs, they offer instead now a "no cost" option, so if you want to have them put in in the first place, you have to say so when you order. But other than weight and complexity, I don't see why most dealers wouldn't order them anyway and just leave them turned off unless and until the customer wanted them activated, like they did before.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! Stay safe! :happybirt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts