BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So I was cleaning the car last night and came across a sticker that did not make any sense. it says "Side air bags not operational" I know what it means.

But i also know for a fact that this car has never been in an accident, and has a clean health report from BMW Canada along with insurance corporations of Canada. So i don't know if this is something that the previous owner had turned off because he had kids or something..

can some one please help.

thanks - Image attached.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet thanks guys

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
From the 2001 model year onward, all cars delivered to the USA (and maybe Canada too), came from the factory with the rear door airbags deactivated (not sure about 2000 model M5s). You needed to sign a waiver at the dealer to have them activated. However, the rear HPS (head protection airbags) are always activated from the factory (and not disabled at a dealer). The 2000 model cars only had the door bags in the rear, no HPS. Also, fwiw, the 2002 models had to be specifically ordered with rear airbags (they were standard on all 2001 and 2003 models) on the order sheet (a one-year freakout by BMWNA). That means that the majority of 2002 M5s do not have either rear door or HPS bags. <all information herein from direct communication with BMWNA about 7 years ago>

Chuck

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
From the 2001 model year onward, all cars delivered to the USA (and maybe Canada too), came from the factory with the rear door airbags deactivated (not sure about 2000 model M5s). You needed to sign a waiver at the dealer to have them activated. However, the rear HPS (head protection airbags) are always activated from the factory (and not disabled at a dealer). The 2000 model cars only had the door bags in the rear, no HPS. Also, fwiw, the 2002 models had to be specifically ordered with rear airbags (they were standard on all 2001 and 2003 models) on the order sheet (a one-year freakout by BMWNA). That means that the majority of 2002 M5s do not have either rear door or HPS bags. <all information herein from direct communication with BMWNA about 7 years ago>

Chuck
Thanks for a nice clear concise summary!:applause:

I believe the dealer would activate the airbags for free during the warranty period. Expect to pay about an hour or so labor if you want to do it now. I believe the door panel has to come off to phyically connect the rear airbags and then the computer is reprogrammed.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. That makes sense now. I will get them activated during the next service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts