BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read about the debates (usefulness/regidity etc) on split seats vs. non-split seats. I also see that the split seats can't be retrofited. However, I haven't seen anything where you might be able to retrofit just the ski bag pass through on the non-split seats.
Looking at my car (which has the non-split seats) there is a piece of deadening that is cut to the shape of the pass through. Take that out and there is the metal bracing for the back of the seat. I'm thinking if you cut that out and retrofit the ski bag frame in there (rivets?), it might be a nice little bonus. I doubt that would have an adverse affect on the frame structure.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
I don't see why that couldn't be done...have you seen whether or not the back side has the cut opening? I would imagine that you may have to replace that piece in the trunk to make it possible.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if this is what you mean or not? Looking in from the trunk, there is a metal frame of metal with hole and criss cross sections behind the entire seat. There is no cutout where the pass through goes. There is a criss cross section of metal where it would be. I'm thinking that could be dremmeled out so there is a rectangular void in which the plastic frame of the pass through could be riveted in. I'll have to get some picture when I get home.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Won't dremeling that out compromise the integrity of the M5 itself? I seem to recall some folks with the fold-down option hearing some squeaking. That plus the fact that the non-fold-down seats are more concave was the reason why I chose not to get it in the first place.

B

·
0 Posts
atomic80 said:
Won't dremeling that out compromise the integrity of the M5 itself? I seem to recall some folks with the fold-down option hearing some squeaking. That plus the fact that the non-fold-down seats are more concave was the reason why I chose not to get it in the first place.
I doubt there would be rigidity problems with a small cut-out for the ski pass-through. I have the fold-down seats, and have never heard any squeaking, and have not felt any lack of rigidity. Dinan's rear shock tower brace could be added if rigidity was of any concern.

An M5 with the retrofit cut-out will still have much more metal back there, than an M5 with the OEM fold-down seats. As long as one uses a professional shop to do the work, then this mod does seem to make sense.

A secondary benefit, is that the subwoofer will sound a lot better!

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BeastPower said:
A secondary benefit, is that the subwoofer will sound a lot better!

Cheers.
Exactly! I thought about that as well. I think it would sound much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts