BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming transmission is already removed, and so is the clutch/pressure plate and flywheel, how much time in labor should it take to replace the rear main seal?

Are any parts needed aside from the rear main seal itself?

·
Registered
553 Posts
If trans a nd flywhel are removed, I'd say no more than an additional hour. Its literaly behind the flywheel. A rear main seal puller makes things much easier. BMW has a special tool. Not sure if anyone has used a generic seal puller.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep, an additional hour at maximum is needed. I just did mine the other day, and what I did was order a new rear main cover that has the seal already installed, and comes with a new gasket for the back of the cover as well as all new bolts and bolt gaskets/washers. My cost was around $80 for this, but for me it was worth it not having to pry out the old seal and carefully press in a new one-just swap the covers and you are done. The part number needed is 11 14 1 436 109.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, an additional hour at maximum is needed. I just did mine the other day, and what I did was order a new rear main cover that has the seal already installed, and comes with a new gasket for the back of the cover as well as all new bolts and bolt gaskets/washers. My cost was around $80 for this, but for me it was worth it not having to pry out the old seal and carefully press in a new one-just swap the covers and you are done. The part number needed is 11 14 1 436 109.
Nice, that surely sounds like the way to for. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts