BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching, I could not find any info regarding my question. Please respond if you have replaced your rear main seal with part number 11142249533

Putting the gasket in the cover housing was fine using a bench vice. When I put the whole piece back on the hub, the inner portion of the gasket seal's lip stays back as the seal/cover is slid in place. To me this seems like a terrible way to seal and wouldn't not hold any oil pressure back but just leak out all over my clutch assembly. Other than taking a screw driver and trying to tuck the inner lip back under to face the engine, I can't figure out how this seal would work. Everything is nice and tight, it just doesn't seem like it would hold oil pressure and I cannot trial test since the engine is out of the bay.
The 'new' seal design does not have the inner metal coil that the one I took off did, was it supposed to come with it? Either I do not understand the physics of the seal's design, installed in incorrectly or have the wrong seal.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did but I didn't know to use it is a guide. I just found out on s14.net that I have to use it to align the seal onto the hub. Not being a bmw mechanic is where I went wrong on this one. :( Now I have to start all over and wait for the part again, take the clutch back off..... very frustrating.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
At least now you know .......... Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier !

D

·
Registered
168 Posts
It did but I didn't know to use it is a guide. I just found out on s14.net that I have to use it to align the seal onto the hub. Not being a bmw mechanic is where I went wrong on this one. :( Now I have to start all over and wait for the part again, take the clutch back off..... very frustrating.
Care to share the process for those of us that don't know?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Pic of seal with white plastic guide in place :

As mentioned , use guide to align seal on crank .

D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts