BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has thoughts about replacing the bushings in the front and rear mounting points of the lower rear control arms. Have not really taken a look at mine in a long time, but I am in the process of refreshing the rear suspension same as the front, based on the fact that it just doesn't feel right to me, and wondering if this is a good idea. Plus, after 116k miles, I assume they must be somewhat worn.

When checking online, it seems you can only get the rear position bushings, and only from Lemforder, no one else, not even BMW, seems to offer any OEM replacements. I assume that's because perhaps the fronts have a relatively easy life and don't necessarily wear all that much? Even so, they must have some service life I would imagine given the weight and power of the car.

Only other option apart from buying all new lower rear arms for something like $610/side (which seems like massive overkill) seems to be Powerflex...they make poly bushings for both front and rear mounting points. Wondering if anyone has used them and has any thoughts about these. I would consider swapping those in if the NVH and ride penalties weren't too severe. Mostly I just like the idea of having all new fresh and tight bushings in every joint possible back there.

Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
My shop just replaced both swing arms, both rear lower knuckle ball joints, and all six bushings at 175,000 miles. Not sure if we went OEM or Powerflex, but I can find out. With that said, my OEM ones lasted 10 years in the mild SoCal climate. My a $ $ end definitely feels tighter.
Water Automotive tire Wheel Wood Grey
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust Bicycle part

Administrator
Both bushings are available from lemforder. They are $5 a piece but a pita to replace. Mine at 80k miles were in great shape. In hindsight I would've been fine leaving the originals in.

Other than both top arm balljoint dust boots disintegrated I'd say the next most worn item was the integrated link monoball. It wasn't tight but had no play either(i.e. still good). Everything else was in top shape but I replaced everything anyway...

Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
Pretty sure both front and back are available via Lemforder. I've replaced them, but they are not easy - long story. Had better luck on my E60 N62 than my E63 S85. I know guys who have tried the Powerflex on E60 V8's - some love them, some hate them, some swear by them. And as Flaco says, they seem pretty durable, mine at 70K and 36K respectively, but I just wanted, no demanded, to know what the car felt like brand new. I was tempted by the Powerflex on my E60, as it was the first one I redid, but don't regret sticking with factory. It handles great on the street for my driving abilities. still forgiving, but always there when I need it. I like how the rear end will fall out of line, but just snap back where its supposed to. Not sure if the powerflex would behave similar - the ones who hate them say the ride is way too harsh. The ones who love them say the rear end is no longer slipping all over the place in the switch backs.

Reactions: Derived

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input - guess I didn't look hard enough for the Lemforder bushings, I see FCP has them. Checked ECS and Turner (since that's where I end up getting all my stuff) and didn't see the front ones.

I have also seen a wide variety of opinions on the Powerflex bushings, ranging from "nearly the same as stock" to "undriveable on the street" so it's hard to predict. Not necessarily worried about a small increase in stiffness, but...wouldn't want the car to become overly brittle. Also, wondering about service life. I suppose it would help to know the conditions of the current bushings, if they're mostly fine then they're not really an issue anyway.

Just seems to me the car still wanders quite a bit more than I'd like (and seems a bit more disconnected in the rear than I expected) for a car that has all new front suspension, spherical bearings in the front lower arms, and a fairly new set of SuperSports + an alignment. Expected just a bit more of a "tied down" feeling relative to how it felt before. So far I've got new rear ball joints, new integral links, and all new associated hardware coming. Was thinking of doing the bushings while getting those parts done...but I'm still pretty ignorant about how the car feels when various rear suspension components wear out.

Registered
Rear guide links can go out as early as 50K miles. Those are easier than the bushings you discuss. I photo doc'd the suspension rebuild, and if you are really wanting to do the lower control arms, it has some tips on the easiest way to get them installed back into the car. if it were me, as you can see, I'd just do it all for max effect. 2009 M6 Suspension rebuild

Registered
On ebay, its $319 for front+rear refresh. I have a gut feeling these are completely refurbished control arms with OEM bushings/bearings. Its not junk from China. (I just ordered something like that for my e31 on ebay and got genuine BMW bushings, not junk).

Order this kit, inspect the components, weigh them side by side OEM ones and see if they weigh up. Thats gonna tell you a lot if its cheap junk. if it looks like gold and weighs as much as gold, i am buying it for $319.

PS: am also looking at front refresh right now..after I am done with my e31 and my evo. All my ponies have over 100K miles and need fresh hooves.

Font Electric blue Screenshot Bicycle part Fashion accessory

Attachments

Registered
Anybody might have a parts list for the full suspension refresh for an E63 M6 or know where I could find it? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Registered
Anybody might have a parts list for the full suspension refresh for an E63 M6 or know where I could find it? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

I have spread sheets in this thread of every part, down to the nuts and bolts. You can also go to realoem

Reactions: psing23

Registered
I have and continue to use Powerflex in all of my cars. Unless you are going for the big 7 series or S-class floaty boat ride you will not notice. If you have 20" wheels with really low profile tires you may be able to feel the difference. Many times I pull the control arm and if the ball joint feels tight I just install the Powerlfex. Again, lots of videos on how to inspect BMW suspension.

Registered
I have spread sheets in this thread of every part, down to the nuts and bolts. You can also go to realoem

Thank you for this

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have and continue to use Powerflex in all of my cars. Unless you are going for the big 7 series or S-class floaty boat ride you will not notice. If you have 20" wheels with really low profile tires you may be able to feel the difference. Many times I pull the control arm and if the ball joint feels tight I just install the Powerlfex. Again, lots of videos on how to inspect BMW suspension.
Thanks, appreciate your thoughts. I figure especially if I鈥檓 just going for a couple components out of the entire group, it won鈥檛 be an especially profound difference. Especially since I鈥檓 still on stock-size tires. In your experience, how is the durability of the powerflex bushings as compared to OEM? Have heard both better and worse from others.

Registered
I have reused the bushings if the ball joint get loose. I had them on my 740 that I tracked with no problems or complaints. They are on my 750 and I don't even notice other than sharper steering and brake response. I also have them on my SMG M5. This is my first problem, they just blew apart on the track. It was a downhill brake zone.
Automotive fuel system Gas Auto part Engineering Machine

These are the "street" version, they have a race version that is on my other car. You must press them in as they are one piece instead of two. This should fix my current woes,
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Headgear Gas

If you think of it logically the bushing allows the arm to rotate and keeps the wheel in place. The OEM is bolted in place with the suspension loaded and the twists when the suspension moves. A poly bushing or mono-ball allows the control are to move freely and let the strut do the work. Therefore the bushing change should little effect the ride only the response as has been my experience. The ball joints that are mounted to the spindle on the other hand get loose and cause all kinds of problems.

Registered
Alan - not sure if you are reusing control arms and pushing new bushings in, but someone recently said BMW says to do this only once. I'm thinking monoballs make more sense up front if you are wanting a tighter suspension.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Alan Arnesen Makes sense, very much agreed with your assessment. I don't track the car currently, so probably don't have to worry about blowing out the "street" 2 piece bushings, might give those a try.

For reference I have the Turner monoballs up front and they feel great, also has not impacted the ride quality much if at all. Really can't recommend them enough. Only have them on the lower arms since they were basically "backordered with no ETA" for the uppers at the time, but might add those at some point too.

Registered
@Alan Arnesen Makes sense, very much agreed with your assessment. I don't track the car currently, so probably don't have to worry about blowing out the "street" 2 piece bushings, might give those a try.

For reference I have the Turner monoballs up front and they feel great, also has not impacted the ride quality much if at all. Really can't recommend them enough. Only have them on the lower arms since they were basically "backordered with no ETA" for the uppers at the time, but might add those at some point too.
This is the route I'm also going with. Next month I'm doing brakes and installing Turner monoballs.

Registered
Alan - not sure if you are reusing control arms and pushing new bushings in, but someone recently said BMW says to do this only once. I'm thinking monoballs make more sense up front if you are wanting a tighter suspension.
I do reuse the control arms if the ball joints are still tight. With E38's I'm pretty good at checking suspension. Even though I spend more money over time I prefer working my way up and learning for myself. It's the engineer in me :LOL:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts