BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the rear lower control arm bushings tend to last a long time in our cars, but I saw this bushing and wondering if anyone has tried to see if it fits into the e39m5 rear lower control arm.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Why would you try to see if this bushing fits into an E39 M5, after saying that the OE lower bushings last a long time and the one you pointed out does not even have e39 as an application? Because it's $6.95 instead of $20-40? that job sucks ballz from what I have seen, so best to have the appropriate part if doing all that work, do it once and be done.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My goal wasn't to save a few $, I was under the impression that the bushings aren't available separately and you have to buy the entire arm. What bushings are you guys using in the lower rear control arm on the e39m5?

·
Registered
700 Posts
At first I was going to lash out and say "What? you've never looked at a parts diagram before?!?!?" Then I looked myself and to my surprise it is indeed only listed as the entire arm! that's CRAZY. Here is a DIY from FCP for you:

And I think it's included in their "rear end refresh kits" like this one: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-control-arm-kit-rear-e39-late-production-e39rearkit-lat Those Lemforders in this kit are the lower rear control arm ball joints I believe..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trizzuth, I am not talking about these ball joints, these don't go into the control arm but into the hub. The rear lower control arm has 2 rubber bushings, and in e39M5 there is no part number for the replacement bushings while in other BMW models there are. That is specifically why I ask the question of whether the rear lower control arm bushings that fit an X5 would also fit an e39m5. As an example, we know that in the front suspension the torque arm bushings from the X5 do fit e39m5 and some have used those instead of the e39m5 original (plenty of discussion on that). The rear lower control arm bushing that I linked in the original post is made by Lemforder (so should be OEM quality) and my guess may fit into the rear lower control arm. It is a very cheap part, but I just wanted to see if anyone has tried installing it into e39m5 rear lower control arm before.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Why not call FCP and ask them? I am sure you can get these parts from them and they can clarify this for you.

·
Registered
700 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. It is great that Lemforder decided to make the bushings separately, however, where do you see that these are specific for e39 540i? I don't see E39 chassis listed anywhere.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
OP- Even if they do fit the E39 540i the rear lower "swing arm" is different on it versus the E39 M5. The 540i is a welded tubular unit vs the E39 M5 is cast alum. I didn't see a listing for it either on the link.

I went thru' this too a few years ago trying to find a similar bushing to press in to the swing arm. One of mine is torn. I searched all over. The closest thing I could find was some kind of bushing from an E30 or E36, can't remember now. I ended up just getting a used arm from Clemster and forgot about the quest to refurb the swing arm.

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread and see what you may find?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Damn you are indeed correct! So I guess I didn't really help with anything here, other than to realize you dilemma is absolutely REAL. I searched long and hard on E39 M5 rear lower control arm bushings and when I that link came up, it looked almost identical to the M5's control arms so I didn't even notice it was not for the E39!

I cannot believe this question has gone unanswered on this board for this long. Someone must have done this?!?! One new arm is like $850 at FCP damnnnn.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trizzuth, now you fully understand the dilema. I did find some more info. I think that the rear bushing from the link you sent will fit the rear bushing in the e39m5 arm, so I think that problem is solved. The reason I say that is because the powerflex bushings fit all these arms (e39, e53, etc):
However, the front bushing is not cross listed, and buying an $850 arm just because you can't get one bushing seems ridiculous. As such, my guess is that a bushing from another chassis will likely fit into the front position, and I was hoping that someone has figured that out already.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I've never referred to those as control arms which is why I asked. Febest BMAB-002 and BMAB-011. Made in China.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Josiahg52, thanks for the suggestion. Have you installed these? Would be great to get a confirmation from someone that has actually installed these.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I haven't but they were suggested by several who have. Febest-China has many, many offerings for many, many vehicles and they seem to get good reviews. I don't know if they own or operate the factory but they appear to have a decent outfit who can meet their specs.

I have spare arms and the bushings ready but the M5 sort of fallen down in my list of priorities.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Why would you go for the febest ones when powerflex has both bushings and is a trusted brand
Can you provide part numbers for the Powerflex bushings? We're talking about the E39 M5 and not the 540i or similar.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked it up. They have the front bushing (PFR5-710-10BLK) but not the rear. The only rear they have (PFR5-711-12BLK ) says that it doesn't fit M-cars, although M5 is still listed. I think that it has a 12mm hole, and I think the M5 uses 14mm, so if you can just drill it out to 14mm it may work. However, I am not a fan of urethane bushings and would prefer original replacements if possible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts