BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got my rear fog light switch today, so decided to go and install it. Installation was pretty easy, hardest was trying to punch out the plastic for the rear fog light. Got the instructions from bmwtips.com. Only did left side, don't like the idea "uneducated" people thinking I have the breaks on.

sorry for the blurry pic, just noticed when I uploaded. I had the camera setting for closups.
First pic (normal)

Second pic (rears on)

Third pic (instrument panel showing rear fog light on)

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Polecat,
Im sorry but Im not clear on your post. I see that the turning signal lights (both sides) are on in the first PIC and then the second photo show the turning signals on along with one (left side) reverse light on, so which is considered the fog light ???
make a circuit with me, couldn't resist........ :M5thumbs:
regarding the group......
I always have liked Boz's guitar work. I have a great love for "Red, Ready, Amber" as a car song even though is has some purely English terminology in it that my little American brain found odd. "John I'm Only Dancing" was a great cover. That being said this is the greatest record the Polecats ever put out. The early Stray Cats are very timeless to me and the Pole cats remind me of the Stay Cats early material. I love the extras on this from the EP that came out, "Make a Circuit With Me" tune that most people remember them for. The Polecats did stay true to who they were and continued to put out rockabilly records with that new wave tinge!
Thanks.
Robert
PS can you tell us part numbers and detailed instructions on how to do ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I know, it drives me nutz too. I think some people just don't know and some people think it's cool. I've seen some A4s have their fogs on too on clear nights and mercedes, haven't seen a jag with one. I know for sure the Audis you'd have to pull twice to turn on fogs don't know about others, maybe if you turn on fogs, it turns both on??

dmz said:
Nice mod. Jut make sure you only use it when there is fog. It annoys the hell out of me when I am driving behind a Jag with their rear fog on a clear night.grrrrrrr

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
FAST 5 said:
Polecat,
Im sorry but Im not clear on your post. I see that the turning signal lights (both sides) are on in the first PIC and then the second photo show the turning signals on along with one (left side) reverse light on, so which is considered the fog light ???

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but that's just the parking lights (LED strip) turning signals are the clear one on top. And the Reverse light is also clear right in between the break light and fog light, and that's not on.

PS can you tell us part numbers and detailed instructions on how to do ?

1 61-31-6-903-953 Fog lamp switch bezel

1 61-31-6-901-342 Fog lamp switch (euro part)

1 07-50-9-063-574 bulbs (common 11w backup or brake light bulbs)

2 63-21-1-379-399 bulb sockets (again identical to backup/brake lt)

2 61-13-0-006-663 contacts (fog lamp sw & LCM input connector)

2 61-13-1-376-202 contacts (LCM output to connectors X12/X38)

2 61-13-0-006-626 contacts (2001, later taillights)

1 45 feet of 18 gauge wire, blue in color

25ish small tie wraps These are for using both lights, I just bought for one.

AMFUNG - Yeah I can help ya install...like to see another M5 around town anyways. I have seen a grey one in WC area, is that you?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Good mod :thumbsup: . Had this on my last car and it's on my list to perform on the M5.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
On a recent trip to Europe I brought back with me the European Hella Celis Taillights which already come equipped with the sockets and bulb(s), so no modifications on the assembly itself are necessary. (That, along with the absence of 4 mini LED bulbs for the side markers is the only difference with the US DOT approved ones.)

I have them installed now without the fog light setup which I would like to activate. Any idea from the part list below which ones I will need - anyone else done a 'true' European light assembly on a US Beast?

swingkat420 said:

AMFUNG - Yeah I can help ya install...like to see another M5 around town anyways. I have seen a grey one in WC area, is that you?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
cosioboy said:
On a recent trip to Europe I brought back with me the European Hella Celis Taillights which already come equipped with the sockets and bulb(s), so no modifications on the assembly itself are necessary. (That, along with the absence of 4 mini LED bulbs for the side markers is the only difference with the US DOT approved ones.)

I have them installed now without the fog light setup which I would like to activate. Any idea from the part list below which ones I will need - anyone else done a 'true' European light assembly on a US Beast?
Cool, it was a pain figuring out how to make the socket stay in the assembly. Anyways you'll just need.

1 61-13-1-376-202 contacts (LCM output to connectors X12/X38)

1 61-13-0-006-626 contacts (2001, later taillights)

1 20 feet of 18 gauge wire, blue in color

If you only want to do one side. if you want to do both sides, then you'll need two of the 61-13-1-376-202 and 61-13-0-006-626 and more wire.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Thanks Swingkat,

That's very helpful indeed. Will likely do both sides though, while I am at it - might as well.

How long did it take you - did you have to strip out the NAV display, carpeting, etc. for all the wiring? Is it a messy gig?

Cheers

swingkat420 said:
Cool, it was a pain figuring out how to make the socket stay in the assembly. Anyways you'll just need.

1 61-13-1-376-202 contacts (LCM output to connectors X12/X38)

1 61-13-0-006-626 contacts (2001, later taillights)

1 20 feet of 18 gauge wire, blue in color

If you only want to do one side. if you want to do both sides, then you'll need two of the 61-13-1-376-202 and 61-13-0-006-626 and more wire.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I decided a while back that I would rather use the space where the rear fog lights would go for something a little more useful from my point of view. I installed a second set of brake lights in these areas.

It was a little difficult drilling out the plastic for the sockets. Making the necessay electrical connections was not all the hard. What is a pain is gittling the bulbs to stay in place in the new openings. I have finally after three years of having this mod in place, been succesful at making at keeping them in place.

I really like the extra brake lights to the rear. You can never have too much light telling the cars behind you to back off or look out!

Mark

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
a_ok2me said:
Why do you need rear fogs?
Doh! You switch them on when it's foggy so people don't drive into the back of you :)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Doh! You switch them on when it's foggy so people don't drive into the back of you :)
Yeah, but fog lights are supposed to be located low below the fog layer, ie front fogs. Thus, the definition of fog lights. If people can't see the the front headlights or the existing tail lights, then it would be just as difficult to see the fog light if it's located right next to it. Praise to the guys who installed it as it's a good fyi, but I don't see them as a value added mod. It might be good to blind a tailgater though.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
a_ok2me said:
Yeah, but fog lights are supposed to be located low below the fog layer, ie front fogs. Thus, the definition of fog lights. If people can't see the the front headlights or the existing tail lights, then it would be just as difficult to see the fog light if it's located right next to it. Praise to the guys who installed it as it's a good fyi, but I don't see them as a value added mod. It might be good to blind a tailgater though.
Perhaps it's because I tend to do an almost equal amount of driving in Europe as I do in the US, I tend to disagree with you a_ok2me: I find the rear fog lights very helpful, however, ONLY when conditions are such that warrant their proper usage. Unfortuantely, based on my observations gathered while driving mostly on the East Coast, I often find that people are completely misusing this feature on the few car brands that have these activated for the US (Jags, Audis and Mercs). Often, like on the Mercs where a single pull of the light knob activates the front fogs and a double-pull activated the rear fogs, people simply pull hard on the knob not knowing that they actually activate the rears as well. In a lot of cases however, drivers think it is pretty 'cool' to drive with the rear fogs on at all times of the day and it is pretty annoying, I agree.

It is likely because of this reason that BMW NA deciced to dissable the feature for the US spec cars. However, statistics (in Europe) show that fewer accidents happen in adverse conditions if rear fogs are used - similarly to why a third brake light was introduced as mandatory a decade ago. As a matter of fact, all American made cars (Chryslers for example) destined for the European markets have a fog light (at least on the driver's side). One can easily notice that the tail lights are often revised for the Euro-spec cars vs. those for the domestic US market.

As you point out, rear fogs have another beneficial effect - distancing tailgaters. I've also found it to work when someone behind you is using their highbeams - an activation of the rear fogs often serves as a friendly reminder to switch the high beams off.

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
a_ok2me said:
The difference is front fogs are for you to see where you are going, but the rear fog is for you to be seen by others. So higher rear fog helps them see you, but higher front fog s(while perhaps visible to the car in front of you if he is looking in his mirrors) won't be as effective in doing the intended job.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
459 Posts
Can anyone verify Part Numbers for 2002? Please?

I've seen different part numbers listed in different places, and I wonder from our European friends if you could verify that these are the correct part #'s for 2002. :dunno:

swingkat420 said:

If you go to the dealerships here, they say "there's no such thing as rear fog lights." ...But you give them a part #, and they suddenly have a light go on. I don't trust that they'll know if the part # is correct or not.

http://jadeturtle.com/bmw/ says 1999 model part #'s are:

07-50-9-063-574: (2) 21 watt bulbs
61-31-8-363-684: (1) fog light switch
61-31-8-363-688: (1) fog light dial
61-13-0-006-663: (2) cable connector contacts
61-13-1-376-202: (4) cable connector contacts

http://jadeturtle.com/bmw/2001fogs.htm (2001 update) says these are the part #'s:

2 07-50-9-063-574 bulbs (common 11w backup or brake light bulbs)

I just want to make sure that there isn't a 2002 update, or if I should go with the 2001 parts list.

Please help!

Thanks!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.