BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all;

This DIY is for installing the rear foglight which is an OEM option elsewhere in the world, such as Europe. If you are unfamiliar with what a rear foglight is, please search.

What you will need:

• Small Gauge wire - about 3 feet
  • Euro Light Switch Assy. PN - 61 31 6 925 257
  • 2x Pin / Socket Terminals PN - 61 13 1 383 776
  • Basic tools, small Torx bit (T15, or something?) phillips screw driver, wire cutter/stripper, wire crimper, Small zipties, electrical tape
You can get the Switch here:https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61316925257/ES167245/
*NOTE - this switch is for HUD-Equipped cars! Be sure to buy appropriate switch for your installed equipment.

You can get the terminals / pins here:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61131383776/ES2673538/

You reuse your trim piece, by unscrewing 4 screws which secure the switch in place.

Description:

• Remove LCM, install new pin and wire into (previously empty) pin 33
  • Remove Light Switch and install other end of wire with pin into (previously empty) pin 9.
  • (You are adding ONE wire, that connects LCM Pin 33 to Switch Pin 9)
*Orientation for USD/LHD vehicle:
LCM is located above-left of Dead Pedal, on the wall. To access, remove panel above pedal box (5 phillips head screws I believe). CAUTION - there is one screw located behind carpeting material on transmission tunnel / adjacent to your right knee. To access this screw, place a screwdriver between the panel and the carpet, and push the carpet AFT towards the REAR of the car. It slides back to expose the screw.

Remove LCM by gently prying back plastic tabs which click-lock into place.

Remove wire loom and guide shield, locate pin 33.

To remove Light Switch, pry back switch panel AFT towards you / rear of car. It is held on by four clips. With medium force, the clips will release. Careful not to damage trim or plastic while removing panel.

Unplug connector. Your parking lamps will go on automatically and remain illuminated until new switch is installed. This is normal.

Remove guide shield and install new wire into Pin 9. Reassemble. Parking lamps will extinguish and operate normally now.

Parts Orientation:

New Light Switch

New Light Switch VS Old Light Switch

LCM pinout:

(You are working on the BLUE side, find and insert wire into Pin 33)

Switch pinout:

(Find and insert wire into Pin 9)

(Assumption, of course, is you know how to read a pinout, as well as remove insertion frame and install/remove pins. Any questions, please ask.)

Once all wiring is complete and wrapped/zip tied neatly, install the switch:

To Operate, Headlamps must be ON and Fog Lamp switch must be depressed. You will now have a new yellow indication on your dash, showing that rear fog lamps are ON:

Fog Lamps OFF / Normal position:

Fog Lamps ON / Inclement Weather / Poor Visibility position:

·
Registered
161 Posts
My headlight switch looks a little different - no gap between headlight selector and buttons on the switch.

Can anyone chime in and say if the pin outs are different on LCI cars?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm a phan of the rear fog light. Nice write up - gear contribution.

Question, were front fogs offered as an option on the E60 M5? I've never seen one w/ fogs. As a matter of fact my drivers side "air duct" (void where fog would be housed) has some sort of temp sensor protruding out. Don't see how a dog light housing would fit.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
I'm a phan of the rear fog light. Nice write up - gear contribution.

Question, were front fogs offered as an option on the E60 M5? I've never seen one w/ fogs. As a matter of fact my drivers side "air duct" (void where fog would be housed) has some sort of temp sensor protruding out. Don't see how a dog light housing would fit.
No fog lights for the s85...the air ducts feed into the airboxes and are functional.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
My rear fog light is my breaklight (Have the LCI boxes) and upgraded to high power LED units. Looks fantastic. Cellis rods always lit and very bright brake lights. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks a lot,
Just finished mine, it took about 30 minutes

Note: some E60s have that small glove box-like under the light switch,that make it more easy to access the light module through that space; if not you have to take apart the cover underneath the steering column

2010 E60 535i....

·
Registered
139 Posts
you can do this about 10 times cheaper

hi all,

i want to thank you for this post which is very useful. I want to add something to this perhaps it can save money for some.
You can buy an used light switch, take couple parts from it and add it to your original US light switch. It works perfectly with just one shortcoming that your rear fog lights symbol will actually be front fog symbol, but who cares? I will take some pics and do a diy.
I costed me £12 the whole operation.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I will take some pics and do a diy.
I costed me £12 the whole operation.
@deceneu Please update this when you can! Thanks. I opened my US version and noticed the motherboard looked to have the right 'circuits' just not button to press them...

·
Registered
586 Posts
@deceneu Please update this when you can! Thanks. I opened my US version and noticed the motherboard looked to have the right 'circuits' just not button to press them...
+1.. some pics if possible please. Really like these hidden features on my M5 😁

1 - 14 of 14 Posts