BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The rear foglights are on both (left and right)cluster of your rear lights. If you look at the right rear cluster of lights, it's on the left lowest corner left of the reverse light. Vice versa, it's on the right lowest corner on the left cluster of lights. From what I am aware of, not all 5s in the US have rear foglights, but they are equipped in Europe and Asia. If your car is equipped with them, you should be able to turn them on on the same knob in which you turn on your foglights for the front, there should be two more modes.

hope this helps...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Actually I'm pretty sure it's a law they can only be on the left side of your car. If I remember correctly, they are on only the left so that you know where the car in front of you is. Because you are doing a very high speed on the Autobahn and see a rear fog on you should be able to tell if the car is in your lane or not just by the placement of the cars light in front of you. I'm not exactly sure, but I'm pretty sure that is where it is.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Yupkwondo,

That sounds correct to me. All of the cars that I have seen with the rear foglights on (Audi, Merc) have it on in the left side. I always get comments from passengers, thinking that one of the lights blew out... but that's the way it's supposed to be! It's logical rationale.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Yupkwondo,

I agree with you as well. For some reason the 5 series that are equipped with rear foglights have them on both sides. There are also dual rear foglights in the previous generation of Jaquar XJs, don't really know the logic. Whenever I see someone with those foglights my first thought is that they are pressing on the brakes as they are driving...

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Rear fog lights are compulsory here in the UK. but there is no rule on one or two nor where they should be located.

If you have a single lamp It makes sense to have it on the off-side (left for LHD and right for RHD) but there are cars sold here that have a single light in the centre low down below th bumper (Peugeot) Personally I would be uncomfortable in the fog with a single lamp.

If any of you guys come to England. take note. It is illegal to use the front fog lights on a car Except in fog or driving snow. You can be fined for doing so.

That doesnt stop people of course but they are a bloody nuisance. and are normally the same people who dont use there headlights when its raining (again a requirement)

Brian R.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts