BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, had the car all of about 6 weeks, and somebody has already hit it. :sad1: My wife and I were going out to celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary, and even though the roads were a little wet out, I wanted to take the Beast. What was a thinking. Well, traffic was backed up at an intersection further than normal (another wreck, I found out later). We had come to a stop and were sitting there waiting for traffic to get moving. I looked in my rear view, and saw this truck coming and told my wife 'this guy is going to hit us - no way he can stop!'. Her response was 'Seriously', and about that time, I see him lock them down. He got close to stopping it, but no such luck. Gave us a good bump, but everybody was ok, which is the primary thing. No air bag deployment (not sure how hard that has to be to set that off), and the Beast looked like it held up a lot better than his Nissan truck did. Of course, I am not the expert, so will wait to see what insurance company says.

So a couple of questions:

1. Any particular thing(s) I should look for with regard to insurance and what they fix, how they fix things, etc.? I haven't been personally involved in a wreck in 20+ years, so not sure.

2. What does this do to resale value on the car? I know when I was looking I wanted a 'non-wrecked' car of any kind. I'm not planning on selling it any time soon, and it has already taken a 65% depreciation hit, so just wondering what experiences others have had.

3. This is probably not related, but thought I would ask. Since I haven't had a chance to fully read the manual, does the Key Remote (I have comfort access) have a way to 'Open all the windows and Sunroof automatically'? The reason I ask. I was looking under the car, trying to assess the damages, and when I get up, all the windows are open and sunroof open. My wife thought I was playing games for some reason. Anyway, I wasn't sure if this was a 'Problem' from the wreck, or if when I bent down to look under the car, maybe something in my pocket pressed down on the key fob and did that. I'm going to play with it, but thought somebody else probably already knew. Anyway, off subject, but came up with this wreck. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have some other issue.

Needless to say, I had that 'Sick feeling' in my stomach all night long. Didn't sleep well, or anything. Kept thinking about it. Still, glad nobody was hurt.

Thanks for listening, and if you have any suggestions regarding dealing with insurance, please let me know. Will start that discussion on Monday.

Mark

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Well, had the car all of about 6 weeks, and somebody has already hit it. :sad1: My wife and I were going out to celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary, and even though the roads were a little wet out, I wanted to take the Beast. What was a thinking. Well, traffic was backed up at an intersection further than normal (another wreck, I found out later). We had come to a stop and were sitting there waiting for traffic to get moving. I looked in my rear view, and saw this truck coming and told my wife 'this guy is going to hit us - no way he can stop!'. Her response was 'Seriously', and about that time, I see him lock them down. He got close to stopping it, but no such luck. Gave us a good bump, but everybody was ok, which is the primary thing. No air bag deployment (not sure how hard that has to be to set that off), and the Beast looked like it held up a lot better than his Nissan truck did. Of course, I am not the expert, so will wait to see what insurance company says.

So a couple of questions:

1. Any particular thing(s) I should look for with regard to insurance and what they fix, how they fix things, etc.? I haven't been personally involved in a wreck in 20+ years, so not sure.

2. What does this do to resale value on the car? I know when I was looking I wanted a 'non-wrecked' car of any kind. I'm not planning on selling it any time soon, and it has already taken a 65% depreciation hit, so just wondering what experiences others have had.

3. This is probably not related, but thought I would ask. Since I haven't had a chance to fully read the manual, does the Key Remote (I have comfort access) have a way to 'Open all the windows and Sunroof automatically'? The reason I ask. I was looking under the car, trying to assess the damages, and when I get up, all the windows are open and sunroof open. My wife thought I was playing games for some reason. Anyway, I wasn't sure if this was a 'Problem' from the wreck, or if when I bent down to look under the car, maybe something in my pocket pressed down on the key fob and did that. I'm going to play with it, but thought somebody else probably already knew. Anyway, off subject, but came up with this wreck. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have some other issue.

Needless to say, I had that 'Sick feeling' in my stomach all night long. Didn't sleep well, or anything. Kept thinking about it. Still, glad nobody was hurt.

Thanks for listening, and if you have any suggestions regarding dealing with insurance, please let me know. Will start that discussion on Monday.

Mark
Sorry to hear. If the cops came and filed a report, it will show up on Carfax unfortunately. I don't know the percentage decrease in value, it isn't a whole lot, but it certainly will reduce the potential audience of buyers as it tends to become a scarlet letter to some people (honestly, to me it does since it can be difficult to assess exactly what was repaired). Again, sorry to hear about your ordeal but I wanted to be upfront and honest with you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry to hear about this..it sucks! Re: Opening all the windows, if you hold the unlock button it opens everything. Maybe when you bent down to look under the car you had your keys in your pocket and the unlock button got held down?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, both of you, for your replies. Didn't know about the Key thing, which will be nice come summer. I was just envisioning it happening at the wrong time, on it's own!

I don't plan on selling the car, ever, but plans could change. I'll find out hopefully in the next couple of days, the real damage. Still very disappointing....

Mark

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident but everyone is ok most importantly. The accident will 100% affect the value and you might want to take some pics and same them in case you ever want to sell the car. I am thinking about getting a new car and have been shopping around the M5 and although I had to paint the passenger door to due a parking lot incident (read shopping cart broke the paint) I have saved a few thousand per dealers that the carfax is clean as I paid cash for the repair. Best wishes for speedy recovery.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Also keep receipts and documentation of the repairs so that you can explain it to future buyers. Secondly do no compromise on bad repairs.. Good luck and sorry to hear about it but at least no one got hurt.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'm definitely taking lots of pictures, as it doesn't look that bad, at least from outside, but won't know for sure until they get into the car for repair. Definitely not something I can fix with Cash, since it wasn't my fault. Unfortunately, I called the cops because the person that hit me spoke very little English and I was just concerned that the repair would not get covered. It appears he had insurance, but who knows what I'll run into there. I had thought about skipping the Police report, but I think it was probably the right decision based on the communication barrier.

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
i feel for you... this kind of story has happened to me twice. big accidents, completely 100% the other guy's fault. i know the sick feeling. it's why i lease now. i will NEVER be stuck with a car that's been in an accident again! (then again, if it offers any relief, you can't trust carfax. NEITHER of the two accidents i mention showed up on carfax. they were 15k and 8or9k respectively in damage expense)

since you're in greer (i am flying back from there as i write this on the plane! was there for the m driving experience) why don't you see if they can fix it at the collision repair training center at the spartanburg PC. they say the best people are learning from the best guys there are..... if nothing else, you could maybe talk to a trainer and get a scoop on the best guys in your area with those credentials.

also, i know it does NOT exist in california where i am, but in some states you can file a claim with your insurance company for diminution of value. it's never enough, because we all know (or do we?) how the used market sees a car with an accident. it's a serious hit on value. but it might be worth an investigation.

best of luck.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AGS, thanks for the information. The Adjuster was out today, so we'll see where we get. He was mentioning things like genuine BMW parts, etc., but won't know until I hear back from the insurance company. Hopefully I don't have to do too much complaining, but we'll see.

Soupcon - Sorry to hear about your troubles - no accident is good, but can't believe yours didn't show up on Carfax. The Training Center - that's a great idea. I live less than 10 minutes from there, so I definitely should check it out. I'll definitely ride over there and see if I could talk with anybody. I didn't realize they had the Collision Repair Training Center there - good to know. Now, the real question - how was the M Driving Experience? I'm thinking about doing one of the M schools there but just haven't put it on the calendar yet.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
22 Posts
AGS, thanks for the information. The Adjuster was out today, so we'll see where we get. He was mentioning things like genuine BMW parts, etc., but won't know until I hear back from the insurance company. Hopefully I don't have to do too much complaining, but we'll see.

Soupcon - Sorry to hear about your troubles - no accident is good, but can't believe yours didn't show up on Carfax. The Training Center - that's a great idea. I live less than 10 minutes from there, so I definitely should check it out. I'll definitely ride over there and see if I could talk with anybody. I didn't realize they had the Collision Repair Training Center there - good to know. Now, the real question - how was the M Driving Experience? I'm thinking about doing one of the M schools there but just haven't put it on the calendar yet.

Thanks again guys.
dude, absolutely do it asap. i did it at the end of my time with the m5 and wish i had done it earlier, but it was just fantastic.... best of luck!! i will be curious to know what you learn from the training center people. when we had lunch in the commissary yesterday, alot of the other guys in there were collision training people apparently...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts