BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Rear end violently kicked out while shifting from 1st to 2nd..

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  pbelo 
#1 ·
Last night I was driving around with a friend and his GT-R. We were both driving through a tunnel taking turns doing pulls (the sound was insane!).

Anyway, we slowed down to almost a crawl, I was in 1st gear DSC Off, S6, etc.. I brought it up to about 20mph and hammered it. As always the tires broke free, then grabbed and I accelerated. However this time when I shifted into 2nd gear, the car went completely sideways. I'm not talking a little sideways here, the *** end of the car was in one lane and the front end was in the other. I couldn't believe it!

I made the appropriate steering corrections and lightly let up on the throttle as I did not want the car to instantly hook up and shoot me into the wall of the tunnel.

I've never in my life had this happen to me in the M5. Every single time I've shifted at redline from 1st to 2nd the tires spin for a second but the car is always straight for the most part.

Has this every happened to anyone? Maybe it was just a bad spot in the road? Oil or something?

Disclaimer:

There was no one else on the road, we were not racing and if I did crash, no one else would have been involved.

See less See more
#2 ·
This happens to me most times I try to do a fast 1-2 shift. Although, having a 6 speed may be the cause. :biggrin:

#3 ·
Well, believe it or not it happened to me several times when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear (SMG) in a weat road with new summer Contis.......:M5launch:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.