BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Strange problem but what might cause a rear end clunk when going into gear and intermittently when changing gear?
Could it be pinion wear or LSD wear and is there a way to rebuild or tighten the diff?

Already checked the mounts, bushes and all suspension connectors. It appears to be too much play on the input side of the diff.

Clutch is new and the SMG is fine. It's just the diff making annoying noises.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am starting to have problems with my rear dif too. Just started making a little noise occasionally when turning. I'm sure I'm going to need to address it soon. I am going to check the things you did.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My fluid is pretty new, I'm only concerned if they used the correct antifriction additive. It might be worth changing it anyhow then I would know it is the correct fluid and additive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diff oil and additive is new and correct. I fear the diff may be the issue as the oil we took out did not appear to be the correct type (wrong colour apparently).
Any quick and easy tips to test the diff while it's in? I've tried turn the drive shaft while holding the wheels and I can replicate a clunk.
How much play should there be input to output? If any?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Is this like if you are in 1st at a set of lights they go green and it goes clunk as you get going occasionally? If so mine has done this since I have had it 8years I assumed it was normal...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
pyro225
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing