BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, to keep the EDC party rolling, here's another question.... :confused3

I am about to change the front legs and steering box on my '95 with 15,000 mile examples (allegedly.... :haha: ) courtesy of yewcorner

So.....now I'm wondering how bad the rears are. The fronts are so bad it's impossible to try and diagnose anything else, car has 180,000 on it and I have no idea if the rears have EVER been changed. However, they feel ok, don't clunk or bang, and the power steering fluid level seems ok (a bit low but I still have working PAS)

So the question is, can the rear legs be knackered but not leaking, or does the fact that they seem to be holding the fluid mean they are ok? Any obvious way to tell how bad they are other than how they handle?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hi Mike

I found mine a bit loose and the handling was woolly. The rear would dig in too much and too much roll resulting in the rear end stepping out too often

I too had no leakages the repair was worth it she was transformed :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

This of course might not be noticed on slow driving :nono: :nono:

Good luck

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mike,
I can confirm mileage on the front shocks as I had the rears along with the whole rear axel, also had the clocks and when we powered them up they read 16,200 miles, and before you ask the rears were sold and shipped to South Africa!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jimmy01 said:
Mike,
I can confirm mileage on the front shocks as I had the rears along with the whole rear axel, also had the clocks and when we powered them up they read 16,200 miles....
Thanks Jimmy that's great news, can I buy.....

jimmy01 said:
....and before you ask the rears were sold and shipped to South Africa!!
D'OH!!! ouich

:rolleyes: :haha2: :7:

·
Registered
659 Posts
ouich tell me about it, I should have got fronts as all I bought the rear end for was for the late big brakes now I have 3.8 rear brakes and 3.6 fronts on my e28 M5 !! :confused3

·
Registered
426 Posts
Steve Mac said:
Hi Mike

I found mine a bit loose and the handling was woolly. The rear would dig in too much and too much roll resulting in the rear end stepping out too often

I too had no leakages the repair was worth it she was transformed :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

This of course might not be noticed on slow driving :nono: :nono:

Good luck
I've replaced the front EDCs but suspect I get the symptoms you describe on some twisty cornering, what did it cost you to get them replaced if you dont mind my asking?

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts