BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...cuz everything is better with pics! I ordered a rear diffuser from a fellow board member and thought I'd capture the change out procedure.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for anything dumb and dangerous you do or may happen...yada yada yada..
....I apologize for the dirty car pics - it was in pristine condition this morning until I had to drive out in the rain! :(

1. Back the car up on ramps or raise it up on jack stands.
2. Remove two screws from underneath that hold the diffuser in place.
3. Remove the two screws on each side that hold the diffuser tabs in place. Be careful 'cause the plastic is brittle. These were a bit difficult due to tight space. All I could think about was how much I wish I had a muffler delete mod :3:
4. With some gentle force the diffuser will pop out from its tabs t that attach it to the bumper. I managed to break one but no big deal since my OEM was being replaced.
5. Install new diffuser. Depending on aftermarket manufacturer it may or may not have tabs that go into the bumper but it should have at least two holes for the underneath screws.

NOTES: Overall fitment for my aftermarket diffuser is good. There is a bit of a gap to the right only noticeable because some of the bumper plastic had broken off from previous owner from either running over something or backing up into some low-to-the ground hard concrete. The pictures below are in order for the DIY process. I plan on doing some cosmetic work on the rear bumper soon so I'm hoping the shop can fix the gap somehow. I'm also planning on painting it the same color as the car. Any comments and questions are welcome!

BIG UPS TO SLIMM!! :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Well done.

Reactions: D-RodM5

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Thanks for posting the DIY and pics. Looks fantastic on your car

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
How about a pic in daylight? Thanks for the writeup.

·
Company Representative for Euro Parts Direct
2,027 Posts
Yes great write up looks great here is a trick make sure you clean area with a wax and grease remover or goof off before installing diffuser once you have removed backing on 3m tape and bolts are tight take a heat gun or hair dryer along top area where 3m tape is and apply pressure to diffuser this activates the tape for a tighter stronger bond to rear bumper

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slimm...i did just that - i wiped it down clean and took a blow dryer on high to get a good seal..i don't think it's going anywhere unless you really sit there to pry it off- thanks again!

also attached are some day light pics....darn rain wont go away :confused3

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
looks great!! nice writeup.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
look mine looked the same way when i first installed it then i removed it shaved the tabs down a little so it would not boe out and glued it with windsheild pollyurithane to the bumper will take some pics and post

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Why is it always raining when we take pics of slimm's diffuser on our cars? JK ;)

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you speak french?
un petit peu...cet a ete un moment! :hihi:

btw..I'll be posting pics once I get my rear bumper and diffuser re-sprayed ..in case some are interested in seeing how it looks!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was asking because of the vanity plate.
Ahh, gotcha! :grinyes:

Getting my car back tomorrow from paint shop...can't wait! :flag:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have the same difuser and am waiting on a set of the new vented fog light covers. My plan is to get them all painted to match my Sterling Grey.

Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts