BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...so there we were, a week ago today - on our way home from the Hobbit 'battle of the five armies' movie, at about 120kph and;

BANG! :eek:oohhh: grrrrrrr :1zhelp: :mad:

... a really nasty sound, NO I didn't run over anything, uh, doesn't feel like a blown tire :dunno:, then as I slow down I can hear it - what sounds like a bucket full of bolts being tossed around in the rear.

Diagnosis and repair by Frits (@ Performance Shop Geel) - total mess in the differential;

P1010166a.jpg

THANKS Frits - for getting me back on the road again :applause:

...what warning did I have - none. I did have a very light 'whine' in the rear end for some time. Car has 150,000km on it.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
...Frits thinks the bearing that holds the pinion gear, wore to a point where it changed the relationship between the two gears - and then - bang
That sounds very plausible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good lord, that's intense!

Time for a Quaife differential. That's what I have and I absolutely love it!

am a newbie with the E60 M5 and hi

may i ask if the Quaife will be conflicting with the M electronic differential ( on E60)?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...so there we were, a week ago today - on our way home from the Hobbit 'battle of the five armies' movie, at about 120kph and;

BANG! :eek:oohhh: grrrrrrr :1zhelp: :mad:

... a really nasty sound, NO I didn't run over anything, uh, doesn't feel like a blown tire :dunno:, then as I slow down I can hear it - what sounds like a bucket full of bolts being tossed around in the rear.

Diagnosis and repair by Frits (@ Performance Shop Geel) - total mess in the differential;

View attachment 503906

THANKS Frits - for getting me back on the road again :applause:

...what warning did I have - none. I did have a very light 'whine' in the rear end for some time. Car has 150,000km on it.
It must have been a bang! That gear material looks like it is rock hard, the way it chipped. Like glass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts