BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just got home from picking up the beast, all i can say is wow. :eek:oohhh: i thought the beast was fun to drive before well now its a whole new world.

i asked my s/a if there was any break in, he said no but dont rev at the same rpm for to long,and to make sure you come in for new diff fluid at 1200mi sharp.asked him about 5500rpm break in he said no nothing like that and that was just for the engine in the beginning.i asked about warr's he said everything would be covered by dealer and dinan, but on my end all i have to do is deal with the dealer.

1st impressions left the dealer driving like normal, felt the beans rt away 1st -2nd -3rd and so on. you could tell it was filling the void that was once there.at the 1st light i hit i was ready, light turns green i was gone bing bam boom look down im doing 100mph, but i was like huh :confused: somethings wrong still feels the same
i look down no power button :biggrinbounce: whoa !! i was in p400 i always drive with the tract off so i was in s6 but only p400.so i hit my magical M button and i was gone.

huge huge diff noticed from the sec i touched the gas pulls harder faster than ever before !!

yesterday BONEHEAD was talking about how violent the shifts are in s6 well look out !! :eek: i did about 6 redline shifts heres what i can say 1st - 2nd the car was twisting a little to the right with a huge chirp, not the little chirp i used to get a huge one. 2nd -3rd same thing loud chirp just no twist and then this is what i was waiting for. when i had stock tires i once and a while could get a chirp out of 4th but since i got new rims/tires(pilot sp 2's) could'nt even chirp 3rd i went from 3rd-4th and i got a chirp not a loud one but i got one. i was ecstatic !!:biggrinbounce:

the car is much more drivable at lower rpm's and yes truely yes p400 actually feels like p500. thats my opinion and its no joke !! i remember when the 1st people were getting aa software done they said the same thing, 400 now feels like 500 that was total B/S this is the real thing.

as for launch control before the tires would give a heavy chirp and then the car would launch.i did it and the tires didnt want to stop spinning, usualy the car would push straight, this time the tires broke loose so hard that the car was sideways, i had to countersteer to bring her straight. i tried it again thinking the tires were cold (thier defenetly warm now) and i had the same result spinning like carzy all the way into 4th.:cool2:

so those are my initial impressions from my 17 min ride home from the dealer.
im jumping in the shower and im going driving all nite i'll give you some more info in the morning.

DINAN REAR DIFF... 3.91 ===lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sounds intoxicating. Love to see how it does in a head to head with a stocker. Also curious how MPG will be affected. Could be a serious performance improvement with little risk...not like a chip or other mod....

·
Registered
930 Posts
You da man! I can't wait till friday!!!! Have you driven it in D mode? Any warning lights. It sounds too good to be true!:1:

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
If anybody is worried about gas mileage, do not read any more......forget the 391's...............he will loose MUCHO MILEAGE...But it will pull like a 100 HP push...He will walk over a stocker. !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Right now without the 3.91 I average 11.5 MPG with the way I typically drive. That means I have to get gas every 3 days or so. It wouldn't be so bad if that stupid tone didn't go off with 1/4 tank left. I mind the inconvenience rather than the cost. Nevertheless the car is like a drug that I'm addicted too and these mods are just another "fix."

"I use to do a little, but a little wouldn't do it, so a little got more and more..." Axl Rose, from Mr Brownstone.

I wonder how long this one will do before I need another fix/mod.:3:

·
Registered
439 Posts
After reading this, SCREW THE BREAK-IN!! I'm just gonna let it rip and hope for the best. I can't take it anymore anyways. I thought I could do it, but I have only gone 350 miles and theres no way I can last another 850. Your write up makes me wish I had let it rip from day 1! Anyway, congrats with the diff, I'm glad you love it!:cheers:

As a side note, what I said about the break-in in the other thread is straight from Dinan. It was in the installation manual and said no revs above 2/3 maximum throttle and no kickdown mode for 1,200 miles. I think 350 miles is close enough though...we'll see.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
OCT 15th
:1zhelp: :1zhelp: UFH :2: vs. LI M5 :blabla: :blabla:
3.91 : 1 vs stock
a grand time for all

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
labelexec-----his same car.

·
Registered
439 Posts
labalexec--The diff is $2499 and install was $500 plus $75 for diff fluid:cheers:

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
guys i just got to work a couple a minutes ago, i could hardly wait to post !!

so last nite i did over 100 miles and all i can say is this is the best mod ever !!
if thier is anyone waiting or not sure they wanna do it, i'll make like NIKE and say just do it !!

905-defenetly drove in d imo it feels better it shifts a little faster/sooner so your not winding out each gear like it use to. everytime i tried it in d, i hated it but last nite i drove in it for a good ten minutes, it really was'nt that bad.
no im not gonna ever use it, but if my fiancee wanted to jump in and go, she'd have no prob's.not that shes allowed !! no warning lights or anything it was fine.dinan says at WOT just lift up on throttle and it'll shift, i could'nt find it. tried twice hit the rev limiter pretty hard twice and then stopped.

p400 is as close to p500 as possible. i drove all the way to work this morning in p400 and loved it.usually in traffic i'd have to have it in p500 because 2nd gear was so lagging at the bottom not anymore.2nd is so much more drivable in traffic even in p400.now p500s is a whole diff story when you're hammering through the gears youre getting thrown around more than ever.it pulls like a monster.the shifts are SERIOUSLY VIOLENT.

larry-is it 2800 rpm at stock at 80 ?? im not sure this was one of my biggest concerns to high of an rpm at 85-90 well now at 85 its like at 3100 rpm's, i really did'nt even notice any difference.

on the highway i zipped up to about 125mph for a couple of sec's this was in the top of 5th i still had all of 6th and 7th. thats plenty for me.

when cruising at around at like 60mph ish if you dropp into like 3rd and punch it, the car literally takes off like a bat out of hell.

i did about 6 lc's, when you actually get it to launch without spinning like a angry whore at a gay bar, its pretty crazy defenetly a serious launch.the best way to do it i figured it out was to launch in p400 and at the middle of 1st hit the magical button.

i was on a mission last nite hunting out the rival e55/cls55 none in site. why is it whenever im in the x5 i see like 2-3 of them but never can find one when im in the beast.:M5launch:

def way to early to say about gas mileage, but i think i left the dealer with 1/2 tank and i filled up again not to long after. drove for at least 3 hrs last nite and 1hr and 10 min this morning and i have 3 1/4 left.

greg your crazy !! but if you wanna do it im in !! unf - vs - li-m5 .....

adam who gives a sh/t beat the hell out of it. i mean i really beat the car hard last nite(PROBABLY THE WORST EVER) we had a good talk when i pulled in the garage and she was very understanding.came down today she greeted me with a bigger smile than ever before and brought me to the city with no eveidence of last nite at all, she's so forgiving-wish my girl was more like my beast.only j/k ok im not ..

adam do some good driving today and give us your results im interested to see if this makes you as happy as it did me.

labeexec-i installed this on my e60 m5 3 mo old. it cost just about $3000.00
$$ well spent. although i didnt pay for diff fluid ??

what else can i say its great !! just got to work and i already want to leave so i can drive more....

sorry if im babaling in this long post i just wanted to give you as much info as possible.

NEIL....

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
whoa !! i must be wrong then .. not sure i thought i was in 5th i'll have to check it again .if not then there would be a huge diff in rpms at the higher gears as well rt. cause i didnt notice it much.

·
Registered
930 Posts
LI-M5 said:
... without spinning like a angry whore at a gay bar...
:nono: where did you go last night?

:haha: Just kiddin. Tomorrows the day! I'll let you know how it goes by tomorrow night.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
LI-M5 said:
whoa !! i must be wrong then .. not sure i thought i was in 5th i'll have to check it again .if not then there would be a huge diff in rpms at the higher gears as well rt. cause i didnt notice it much.
Here is a stock data point:

1 - 20 of 122 Posts