BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that on my 01 M5, the rear defroster takes a long time to kick in. The front windshield and side mirrors usually defrost in 5 or 10 mins but the rear will take about 20 mins. For those of you living in cold climates (I am in Northern CA, so 40 is cold for us!), how does your rear defroster work?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Osodog said:
I have noticed that on my 01 M5, the rear defroster takes a long time to kick in. The front windshield and side mirrors usually defrost in 5 or 10 mins but the rear will take about 20 mins. For those of you living in cold climates (I am in Northern CA, so 40 is cold for us!), how does your rear defroster work?
If the rear window is really damp, it takes forever. I have to press the defrost button about 3 times or more after it automatically shuts itself off each time. Otherwise, a little mist takes about 10 mins on 1 press of the button.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Park in a garage?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fair enough! :haha:

Osodog said:
Nope, garage was taken over by baby stuff so the M5 has to sit outside for a while.

·
Registered
131 Posts
LOL :D

Osodog said:
When shopping for a new car about a year ago, the only requirement by my wife is that it has four doors and is suitable for transporting the baby, which the M5 does very well! BMW, the ultimate baby transport machine....:wroom:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Osodog said:
When shopping for a new car about a year ago, the only requirement by my wife is that it has four doors and is suitable for transporting the baby, which the M5 does very well! BMW, the ultimate baby transport machine....:wroom:
I agree, thats the same thing I said to my wife! :cheers:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hmm, it might be worth checking out. Mine's a 2002, and the rear defroster works very well. I've never seen it take more than five minutes to handle anything. On the other hand, I live in Southern Cal, so maybe I'm not throwing much at it. :)

Eric

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I also find my rear defreoster to be a bit lacking in the efficiency department. The front and side defrosters are great, but the rear takes a couple cycles to get the window clear on cold snowy days here in Mass.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
TCM said:
I also find my rear defreoster to be a bit lacking in the efficiency department. The front and side defrosters are great, but the rear takes a couple cycles to get the window clear on cold snowy days here in Mass.
I don't get a lot of snow days here in Florida :hihi: but my window clears up morning mist in a few minutes, no problem.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
35 Posts
gsfent said:
I don't get a lot of snow days here in Florida :hihi: but my window clears up morning mist in a few minutes, no problem.
Regards,
Jerry
Here in Chicago we see a few more snow days. My defroster works pretty well. I havne't had any complaints with its effectiveness. My big complaint is that the on/off switch isn't a latching switch, so the defroster runs for like 10 minutes then shuts off. I frequently find when it's raining or very cold that I want the defroster on. In my VWs it was a latching switch that just cycled the defroster on and off to avoid overheating.

Ben

1 - 14 of 14 Posts