BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear of the differential is mounted to the chassis of our cars by a M12 Hex bolt that goes into a rubber mount fixed to the underneath of the car by four M10 Hex bolts .

See RealOEM.COM   BMW E28 M5 FINAL DRIVE COVER/TRIGGER CONTACT

part no <TABLE cellSpacing=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=r10>13</TD><TD id=r11>RUBBER MOUNTING</TD><TD class=p1 id=r10></TD><TD id=r11>1</TD><TD id=r10></TD><TD id=r11></TD><TD id=r10 noWrap>33171130900</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

My E28 M5 has recently been producing a relatively solid clunk from the rear when releasing the clutch from a standstill that has been traced to the deterioration of this part .

I called my dealer to order this part and was shocked to be told it would cost £170 ......

Has anyone else experienced this part failing ?

D

·
Registered
244 Posts
I changed it on My M635csi after only 40K KM, and even on the 535i every 60K it has to be replaced...so i think on the M5 should be a common manteinace item, even with this absurd price:mad:

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think, as it is specially made for M6 and M5, that it has a special Thoughness, but it could be done with a lot less money.
i bought one on ebay.com last year new for around 100 USD, and it was new, not old stock, so take a look..

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
David,

It has failed on my car too, but that was six years ago.
After how many miles Raymond ?

And how many miles has it covered in the last 6 years ?

I may order both the M5 and the M535i items for a back to back comparison .

D

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have asked my dealer to order both the M5 part and the M535i part for a side by side comparison .

M5 part £170

M535i part £47

I would expect to see a marked difference in quality .

We'll see ......report to follow .

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
David

if you can use one from the M535i, I would very much doubt it will fail.

Not to grief anyone, but the difference in power between a good M535i and a reasonably good M5 are not that big IRL, not to mention stress on drivetrain. A friend of mine has a very sound , strong pulling M535i and I can assure you that it has 90% of the M5 speed in 90% the cases compared the average E28 M5, even though the power is off by some 70 hp.

The M88 engine delivers its good at high revs, so no extra stress there on the drivetrain. The M30 is much torqueyer, meaning the power comes with more of a wham into the diff.

Ofcourse, people can disagree.

When I'll install the new engine {classified} into our E28 drifter, we'll probably manufacture some sort of heavy-duty solution for that but if I have things my way, the entire rear subframe goes anyways

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thoughts exactly Wout .

I will check the 2 parts side by side and decide .

If the M535i mount fits , I very much doubt that I would go through 3 of them before the M5 part fails .

We'll see when the parts arrive on Friday .

BMW did offer an uprated item that apparently comes from a 7 series ( E32 I believe ) , is cheaper than the M5 item at approx £127 but is German order only at the moment .

D

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Dav

If I am not mistaking, the E32 uses a different diff from the E28.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this part failing ?

D
It failed on my 524td causing the subframe to tilt over backwards and the rear-wheel to obtain about 15 degrees to 20 degrees of negative camber, along with a 10cm drop in ride heigth. It wasn't a fun way to join the motorway. BTW the rubber was intact, it was the alloy core that broke, releasing the big bolt (and diff) completely.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It failed on my 524td causing the subframe to tilt over backwards and the rear-wheel to obtain about 15 degrees to 20 degrees of negative camber, along with a 10cm drop in ride heigth. It wasn't a fun way to join the motorway. BTW the rubber was intact, it was the alloy core that broke, releasing the big bolt (and diff) completely.
You never do things by half do you Stevie ?!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
You never do things by half do you Stevie ?!
sorry.

Rear suspension on that car was jinxed. And being with me being 20 at the time it was run on a shoestring, so I never replaced the lot. Just kept replacing stuff whenever something broke. It met it's maker a few months later when a lower rear strut mounting bolt broke & 70km/h on a narrow country lane with ditches on both sides. Kept it out of the ditch, but lost faith in it from there on. Had it picked up by the scrapman as I didn't dare drive the thing again.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The world is a better place with you around Stevie !

I will be going to see the 2 mounts this morning and update on my findings in due course .

D

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 2 mounts side by side :

M5 mount on the left / M535i mount on the right :

In all honesty , there does not appear to be a huge difference in the quality of the 2 mounts to justify the 300% price increase of the M5 part over the M535i part .

Needless to say , I went for the M535i mount . It fitted easily after supporting the diff with a jack on the ramps , releasing the 19mm centre bolt and 4 x 15mm mount bolts before bolting the new mount into place .

Job done !

I have also been experiencing a slight shudder through the steering wheel , particularly when lightly braking into bends , which many owners believe is due to worn upper control / thrust arm bushes , although I have typically found that lower control arms are responsible .

An under car inspection suggested that the offside upper control arm bushes were displaying signs of wear and I fitted a new Lemforder arm with ball joint and bush .

The shudder is less than previous but not entirely gone , so I will do my usual and fit all new arms on both sides .....the difference in steering performance will be worth it !

I must comment that I had forgotten just what great fun this little car is ....I seriously feel that it is as quick as any of my E34 M5s , certainly lower down in the gear and mph chart ......she also feels more spritely / edgy and therefore the enjoyment levels are higher , although an E34 M5 is definitely more reassuring and planted .

I have asked Roger to order in the best underseal available , some stonechip and a bit of waxoil for the underbody protection of Diamond Diana prior to the sill covers and wheel arch liners being fitted .

·
Registered
486 Posts
Davidoli,

Sorry to post on the old thread, but wondered how you made out with the diff mount from the M535? Did it last?

My M5 needs one and I was going to buy the cheaper one based on your experience!

Thanks

Curtis

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi D,

Had the same jaw on the floor moment when I ordered mine. I went for the standard one in the end. I will see how long it takes a b36 to destroy one before spending the extra!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
13 Participants
de Witt
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing