BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am new to the list and a proud new owner of a '07 M5 (Black). I have researched a lot of the treads on the forum and I'm reading a lot of great information, thanks to all who have invested their time so other can learn from the forum.
I want to set my car on jack stands to do some work and regular maintenance and would like to confirm the rear center jacking point is the aluminum cross member just behind the differential cooling fins correct?
Thanks for any insight.
Regards

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thats what I use, but its not always easy to use that point depending on your jack. Also make sure the jackpad has some distance from the diff as its not touching it. Though lately I have used the side BMW special pad points when doing wheels, one side at a time, using a special adapter that fits into the hole.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dacan23,
Thanks. The cross member just didn't look overly robust when I crawled under the car. I have also read that I may be able to get the rear jack stand under the rear support just by jacking the car up from the front support.
New car to me means rehashing all this old news for you guys.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
You need to put a piece of soft wood, like fir, under the diff itself. Not under its rear heat sink but behind it on the cast diff body, looking from the back of the car. It's a blind mate. Make sure the wood sticks out down far enough such that your jack never touches the differential heat sink. Put the jack straight under the differential. Jack up and have the stands ready on left and right. Slide them under the tire jack points when high enough. You may have to get some tick planks to drive the rear of the car onto to make enough clearance for the hydraulic jack.

Get a copy of BMW TIS software. It tells you all of this. Do not jack on any of the suspension parts or any of the frame. Bad news.

BTW: The soft wood avoids sliding because it molds under the cars weight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rt7085
Thanks, any suggestions on where to get the BMW TIS software?
Saw some on line but didn't know if the forum has a vendor.
Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts