BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have tried a search but can't find the answer. How do you remove the rear bumper (02 MY E39 M5)?
(My PDC sensor in the middle has gone kaput - typical - why can't it be the easy one on the plastic trims?)
Thanks for a great forum!
Stringbag

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That picture guide is very handy.
So, it is all 6 bolts in the boot (trunk) - 3 each side.
All the rear screws/pins in the wheel arch.
One bolt each side behind the plastic bumper trim (with the pdc sensors on it).
If that is correct I'll give it a go over the next couple of days.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You have to remove the rear valance (diffuser) as well, it's fastened with alltogether 4 bolts (8 or 10 mm). Be careful when you remove it so you don't break any of the plastic "clips" that attaches it to the bumper.
It can be a little awkward to remove the nuts on the left side inside the trunk but you'll manage. The CD player is very easy to remove (don't remove the wiring from it - not needed)
The plastic strips with the PDC's are easy to pry off but be careful there as well so you don't destroy the paint.
It helps to be two at least when you put the bumper back.
The bumper is fastened with some plastic items in the wheelarch, you can reach them without removing the wheel. Pry out the top part and drag'em out. They are cheap around 25c each.
If I can be of any furthe assistance just shoot me a mail.
Magnus

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much - just finished the job.
For future reference, you do not need to remove the rear diffuser/valance - It is part of the bumper and comes off with it attached.
You also do not need to undo the bolts behind the bumper strips.
Took me an hour and a half.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Thanks very much - just finished the job.
For future reference, you do not need to remove the rear diffuser/valance - It is part of the bumper and comes off with it attached.
You also do not need to undo the bolts behind the bumper strips.
Took me an hour and a half.
Thats right the bolts behind the strips wont come out and can be left alone.
I removed the valance because I fitted a real diffuser.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know this is an old post, looks like this is what I have to do to get to the PDC sensor in the rear bumper - didn't want to open up bumper etc though.

If I remove the plastic moulding will it allow me to reach to the next sensor...???

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
You only need to take the bumper off for the middle 2 sensors, the outer 2 are cliped into the trim strips and are easy to change.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry if it didn't come across clear, what I mean is to remove the faulty sensor (it is the 2nd one along when starting with the 1st one being in the left hand side plastic moulding) from the actual bumper.

From what I can make out if I take off the black plastic moulding from the bumper it will obviously release the 1st parking sensor, my question is will it give me enough space to get to the faulty one or is it a simple case of bumper off..??

Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You only need to take the bumper off for the middle 2 sensors, the outer 2 are cliped into the trim strips and are easy to change.
Just my luck it is one of the middle ones I need to change as it's making no sound when you do the sound test on it..!!!

If you look at the picture below it's the sensor on the left that is faulty.

PS As this sensor is round does it have to be exactly the same type? The reason I ask is the ones on ebay for sale seem to be a round casing but the sensor looks to be more square in shape, anyone know the part number of the one for the 2001 M5 as in the picture?

Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think you can just get them off by taking the diffuser off, but that's almost more work than taking the bumper off.

The correct part number for Carbon Black is 66 20 7 964 087 or 66 21 7 890 441 depending on the build date. However many people use a cheaper sensor and paint it yourself, even though BMW say specifically not to do this.
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info, build date is Oct 2001 if it makes any difference. I didn't even realise these are colour coded they just look black to me..!!! zzzzz

So I will have to arrange a bumper off then just to get to the sensor, that sucks big time - I wanted to do it myself but I know if I try I will end up damaging something else in the process I have no patience..!!! :grrrrr:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts