BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning all,
I had rear pads replaced on my 08 E60 M5 by main $tealer 4000 miles ago. This morning I have noticed that both rear discs are shot so the pads have clearly gone again. On speaking with the dealer, they have simply quoted me for discs / pads and don't seem particularly interested in the fact that the sensor hasn't shown or that they have worn out so quickly. I have subsequently contacted a new dealer. The car has a full BMW extended warranty.
The car is driven carefully, never tracked and I do very limited heavy braking.
Do we think this is normal or am I looking at a more serious issue here?
Not impressed with the dealer at all. He can't even look at it until the second week in August.
TIA
M

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I am no M5/6 expert since I do not own one yet (looking for low mileage with documented 5,000 mile oil changes since new).

But a possibility is; based on experience with a new 400hp truck I had bought, the rear pads and rotor wore out in less than 10,000-miles, but as soon as I got rid of the crappy original equipment tires the next set of pads are only at 50% now at 76,000-miles.

The reason being is that the high performance (220-tread wear) Bridgestone tires I had bought have so much more traction that the brake applied "all speed traction control" (i have seen the icon flash at 70-mph in the rain) no longer was required to engage, where as previously it was operating 90% of the time under any kind of acceleration.

Of course (but less likely unless heavy salt use) partially seized sticking rear calipers could also be the cause

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Since the M5 uses floating calipers, a partially seized piston combined with seized caliper slider mechanism would result in the piston side pad to wear down to the backing plate while the outboard pad would hardly wear. Thus if the sensor is on the outboard pad?; no warning would result, the Dealer should be able to give you a much better explanation than my speculation from this side of the pond.

Any winter driven M5 in a heavy road salt use area needs regular special preventative maintenance on the caliper slider.

·
Registered
759 Posts
New pads worn out in 4,000 miles? Do you really have to ask if this is normal? I can't believe a "dealer" will ignore an obvious issue like this.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Morning all,
I had rear pads replaced on my 08 E60 M5 by main $tealer 4000 miles ago. This morning I have noticed that both rear discs are shot so the pads have clearly gone again. On speaking with the dealer, they have simply quoted me for discs / pads and don't seem particularly interested in the fact that the sensor hasn't shown or that they have worn out so quickly. I have subsequently contacted a new dealer. The car has a full BMW extended warranty.
The car is driven carefully, never tracked and I do very limited heavy braking.
Do we think this is normal or am I looking at a more serious issue here?
Not impressed with the dealer at all. He can't even look at it until the second week in August.
TIA
M
Your fairly local, what dealer?

Have you looked at the sensor to see if its actually attached? It sits in between the pad and wears down at the same rate so there is no reason why this shouldn't work unless its not seated correctly.

If you want a good indi to look at it, I suggest you take it to PMW (Essex) very good independent who can give you an assessment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Markie,
It was Arden Aylesford. I'm still trying to get it in there.
I wouldn't know what I was looking at. I'm thinking about taking it somewhere else...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hi Markie,
It was Arden Aylesford. I'm still trying to get it in there.
I wouldn't know what I was looking at. I'm thinking about taking it somewhere else...
I'm not technical either but managed to change the pads on my own, if you look on youtube for M5 E60 brake pad change and you will see a video showing on how to do it. Part of the video you will see what the brake sensor looks like.

If you really can't be bothered then for something so simple I'd just find a local indi, ask them to show you the brake sensor and check whether its connected. It's really just a case of taking the wheel off and you / them seeing whether its attached properly. Wouldnt imagine it costing any more than half a hours labour ~£30-40.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yeah, plus the 800 quid for the discs and pads.
I am awaiting a call back to try and get it in!
It's not clear in your original post what the issue is, you mentioned the rear discs are 'shot'. What makes you think they are? Is there a lip on the outside of the disc? Are they full of rust?

If you do want to change them look on eBay there is a UK dealer offering rear pads + discs @ Buy it now price which is likely to be cheaper than your 'walk in price' at a dealer.

Our cars are quite easy on the rear pads the fronts take most of the stress, if you have not changed the front's then there is no way in hell you should have eaten through the rears before the fronts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the discs are completely shot. Grooved beyond belief actually. I've not changed the fronts and they look fine. Deffo something wrong. It's going in tomorrow. They have done 4000 miles, so actually probably about 3000 before hitting metal... no warnings or anything, just me noticing the discs being damaged,.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts