BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since I bought the car with 18,000 miles on it just 2 years ago, I've been slowly adding mod after mod, well I'm finished now.... I think! Special thanks to Gustav for making the most important part happen, the full Supersprint system, totally de catted :) RPI scoops, block off plates and oil cooler, Evosport pulley, AFE filters, DMS remap. Lots of CF bits and some stoptech BBK and I'm finished! Now on 102,000miles and after a long remap session today which actually involved 38 miles on the dyno we gave up at 589.6bhp! Crank obviously! No idea what that is at the wheels. Will post full dyno results through out when I get them! Would be interesting to see the various tweaks give and take bhp. DMS did a great job, very happy with the results, not just the final figure but it makes a HUGE difference early on the rpm range and feels simply amazing!

The real test comes this Saturday at the latest VMAX airfield event! Will be interesting to see how it performs against the other M5s there :)

102,000 miles and 589.6bhp, these are some seriously wonderful engines, what a shame they have to go and lose a couple of cylinders for the F10 :(

·
Registered
472 Posts
Respect to you Mark :applause: What an impressive gain!

You have changed my mind about doing mods on a high miler - I'm gonna just get it done starting with pulley/filter/scoop/block-off.

DMS will now be my preferred ECU tuner to visit over A-L but I need to find someone for the above.

Good luck the weekend...I'm sure you'll get a top time.

Kamal

PS - come on go for 600bhp before you halt the mods.

·
Registered
977 Posts
next thing to do (and you know it will happen) is to go a ESS VT2 kit... Now that will put a smile on your dial...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Very nice! I just picked up my M5 with 65K and this makes me happy to see how strong the motor is for the future.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice numbers... I just bought an 07 M5 with 19,000 miles... I hope to follow your footsteps and produce good numbers further down the road.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Great work Mark, happy for you mate! Please don't forget to get some videos on Saturday.

·
Registered
550 Posts
, what a shame they have to go and lose a couple of cylinders for the F10 :(
Why is this a shame? Aside from the sound and "naturally aspirated M car purist mentality", the new motor will be better in EVERY way. Much more torque down low. More peak hp. Faster overall, will respond a LOT better to mods and for less money, plus better gas mileage. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Why is this a shame? Aside from the sound and "naturally aspirated M car purist mentality", the new motor will be better in EVERY way. Much more torque down low. More peak hp. Faster overall, will respond a LOT better to mods and for less money, plus better gas mileage. Am I missing something?
no replacement for displacement. I have owned a 08 GTI and 06 S60R, and i will never buy another turbo engine car.

·
Registered
550 Posts
no replacement for displacement. I have owned a 08 GTI and 06 S60R, and i will never buy another turbo engine car.
Sure there is, it's called boost. You're comparing apples to oranges....dinky peaky little GTI and S60Rs which have inferior turbo technology and are roughly half the displacement compared to the new M5 motor. The X5M's motor, which the new M5's motor will be losely based on makes 500lb-ft of torque from 1500 to 5650 rpm. Let's see an N/A motor pull that off.
<CITE sb_id="ms__id2075"></CITE>

The new M5 motor will RAPE the E60 M5 motor throughout the entire RPM band and gets better mileage doing it. Heck, even the bigger 5.8L Dinan Stroker motor makes less torque than the 4.4L boosted motor will and doesn't make peak torque until 6000rpms while the new turbo motor will make that much torque off idle!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed, BUT why not go V10 twin turbo? Bit off topic though!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Respect to you Mark :applause: What an impressive gain!

You have changed my mind about doing mods on a high miler - I'm gonna just get it done starting with pulley/filter/scoop/block-off.

DMS will now be my preferred ECU tuner to visit over A-L but I need to find someone for the above.

Good luck the weekend...I'm sure you'll get a top time.

Kamal

PS - come on go for 600bhp before you halt the mods.
CA Automotive in Portsmouth stock the pulleys, plates and scoops :) Call Phill on 07972141673 Make sure you do those BEFORE getting it to DMS!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sure there is, it's called boost. You're comparing apples to oranges....dinky peaky little GTI and S60Rs which have inferior turbo technology and are roughly half the displacement compared to the new M5 motor. The X5M's motor, which the new M5's motor will be losely based on makes 500lb-ft of torque from 1500 to 5650 rpm. Let's see an N/A motor pull that off.
<cite sb_id="ms__id2075"></cite>

The new M5 motor will RAPE the E60 M5 motor throughout the entire RPM band and gets better mileage doing it. Heck, even the bigger 5.8L Dinan Stroker motor makes less torque than the 4.4L boosted motor will and doesn't make peak torque until 6000rpms while the new turbo motor will make that much torque off idle!
i totally agree with you on that.... m5 has no low end torq at all!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Agreed, BUT why not go V10 twin turbo? Bit off topic though!
Smaller packaging, less weight, less cost, better gas mileage, avoiding some of the European luxury taxes that are based on engine displacement, and doing so all with more power. With mileage standards going up, automakers need to up their game.

Besides, why set the bar too high? No reason to go from 500hp to 700hp all in one fell swoop with a big V10 TT engine.... ;) Give us something to look forward to. :D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Very impressive, but more impressive is how you put more then 80k miles in 2 yrs WOW

·
Registered
16 Posts
an old thread I realise, however I'm in lurk mode <_<

they've only took away .6L, it's not like we're comparing a 2.0L to a 500CI motor.

This by far is the best reason. The op Spent $7-8K+? for 90HP? a $500 chip in a B5/B8 S4 or in a 335i would produce nearly the same increase in power, *and* the turbochargers are extremely accessable in the TT 4.4 V8

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Yes.. I can see those nice shiny turbos working really well in our 130+ climate!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes.. I can see those nice shiny turbos working really well in our 130+ climate!
If you're factoring in humidity, OK, you can say you have a 130 degree climate! Not everyone lives in such a harsh climate, for most of us it's great! Turbos are an advantage at elevation as well.

In your case though, you just need to get a big ol' intercooler and engine oil cooler and life should be swell...that and turning on your engine fans as soon as possible along with some redline water wetter and a lower temperature thermostat don't hurt either. :D

It gets up to 120 degrees where I live, and I've owned turbo cars here; there are ways around it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts