BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Ive been lurking on both this forum and the m3 forum for quite some time now. Recently, ive been in the market for a new car. I actually almost pulled the trigger on an 06 m3, but I decided that for the money the dealer was asking I could buy an 06 m5 for 8 grand more. I understand the vanos and smg pump issues that go with the car, as it is the 2 biggest problems that threaten the e46 m3.

What I am asking for is the real costs of ownership. I tried finding service intervals, but could not find them. Im a bit surprised that I saw the smg pump on the m5 is 3 times more expensive than the m3. That's a bit scary. I would definitely buy a warranty if I bought this car.

There are two dealers in my area with low mileage m5s. Most likely going to check them out this week. Any help would be appreciated. I really would like to buy this car, but I'm feeling that it might be a it of a headache and I could get an 08 m3 instead with less problems.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cost of Ownership?

Something does not compute here: price is not a concern for a true enthusiast. Just follow your hart and get the one you love.....
:biggrinbounce:

·
Banned
194 Posts
Pretty much just the deductible from your warranty on parts that go bad, Regular maintenance items (tires, oi,l micro filter). not much at all. The same for any car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I spend about 1500 a month in gas. but i drive a LOT more than the average human due to my line of work. there was another thread on that a while back that i think i remember seeing (about gas).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Something does not compute here: price is not a concern for a true enthusiast. Just follow your hart and get the one you love.....
:biggrinbounce:
Amen, to that!

I couldn't have said it any better.

If your worried about gas prices & on a budget, I suggest this is not the right car for you at the moment.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I wouldn't buy an E60 M5 without an extended warranty, so just factor in the cost of that and you will be good to go. The other thing I would consider with the M5 is that it burns gas significantly faster than the M3. I average about 18 MPGs in an M3, but about 11 if I step into an M5 (I do mostly city driving).

One thing I will add about the M3....if you decide you want one over the M5, go for a 2004 model over a 2006. They are significantly cheaper, and come with just about everything the 06 has (all mid-cycle updates to the M3 were made half way through 2003) and our 04 has been very reliable.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have been in the market for the same price range and model cars. Finally decided to get the M5 over the M3 because I've had 3 other M3's and I have always wanted the M5. Insurance is quite a bit more where I live for the M5, gas I'm not worried about since this will not be my daily driver. If every enthusiast had endless funds, sure we would never have to weight the costs and always go for the M5 as a daily and maybe a Veyron as a weekend car, right?! ha ha

I have almost had the cash for an 06 a couple times, but seems I spend here and there on other things (I do not want a loan). I believe now that I'm close on money, I want to save up for an 08 so I don't have to do the upgrades... just buy what I want and be done for a few years. But with any used car, there is upkeep... I have always used the motto... . Buy what you want even if you have to wait a bit longer. At the end of the day, you will appreciate it way more if you saved up and got exactly what you wanted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts