BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm leaving in a bit to a member on here to get this coded in, and a few other things along with the Euro SMG thing. EXCITED, will post results later!

·
Registered
275 Posts
got my card coded yesterday, and added the euro smg version thing. Too bad my real time traffic ain't working it's telling me no reception right now so I guess I have to updated my software.....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
you going to post up your impressions on the euro smg tune? I want to do it, but i'm still on my stock smg pump and dont want them to deny the warranty claim because i have the euro tune when it officially blows up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
you going to post up your impressions on the euro smg tune? I want to do it, but i'm still on my stock smg pump and dont want them to deny the warranty claim because i have the euro tune when it officially blows up.
Yes I will, after it was flashed with the Euro SMG Software Upgrade I took it around the block for a test drive at low speeds. After starting the car putting it into gear it goes into D1 instead of S anymore which is a huge plus for me. The jerking of the car was a lot LESS to none compared to the US flash. It was a lot more comfortable during low speeds and traffic which makes me enjoy the car more. Last night I took it out and pretty much gunned it on the highway a few times and that's where you feel the difference. It was smooth honestly it felt as if the car was a bit quicker all around because of the shifts. My exhaust also sounded a bit louder and less boggy in between shifts as well, so overall I think it was a great "Mod" to do. At times though I sort of miss the jerking of the car because it felt a bit more raw.

Hope this helps you on making your decision, and with the whole warranty situation I don't think it would matter that much. If something was to happen you can always flash it back to the US one.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Remember, it is not a Euro Tune, it is only updated BMW software that controls/syncs the SMG's shifting (do a search and read some of the existing threads on the subject)
I had a conversation with Vodyk (RIP) where he told me that it would not void the warranty because the code comes from BMW. Plus, no one ever checks the version of the SMG software. This is the same BMW code already on the Euro spec cars.
I took El Guapo (my beast) to the the stealer to code my newly installed Sirius Radio a couple months ago, they read my key fob, flashed whatever other software they had to flash to make my Sirius work, and still had no idea. My SA did however notice that El Guapo started up in D1 which he liked very much (It is great if you ever have to valet your car).

The best part is, if you are ever truly concerned about a warranty void, just have it flashed back before you take it in. It is 100% reversable. The best $100 and most bang for your buck you will ever spend on your beast, UNLESS SOMEONE COMES OUT WITH A GOOD CUP HOLDER!!!.

DO IT!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had my coding done, I see traffic icon, all is says is no signal, then sometimes it says transfering messages, red light camera and speed traps work fine, I have tried all settings, even in Idrive there is a setting for traffic but no luck.

im In Toronto. I know we have the FM traffic bcuz it works with my Garmin.

no luck yet. if anyone has an answer please do tell...

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had my coding done, I see traffic icon, all is says is no signal, then sometimes it says transfering messages, red light camera and speed traps work fine, I have tried all settings, even in Idrive there is a setting for traffic but no luck.

im In Toronto. I know we have the FM traffic bcuz it works with my Garmin.

no luck yet. if anyone has an answer please do tell...
Are you using an OEM disc? or a copied OEM disc? Also is the disc updated to at least 2007 maps? When I coded my car I was using 2006 maps CD and had the same issue you are having. I went to the dealership and plunked down $200 for an OEM (2012) disc and it worked fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That may be my issue as well. I have a 2005 or 2006 map disc. Got the updated coding completed and i see the same "transferring messages" but never get the data. Looks like it is time for a new map disc. Are you saying that a copied or aftermarket disc does not typically work? That you must get the OEM version? TIA.

Are you using an OEM disc? or a copied OEM disc? Also is the disc updated to at least 2007 maps? When I coded my car I was using 2006 maps CD and had the same issue you are having. I went to the dealership and plunked down $200 for an OEM (2012) disc and it worked fine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ok, I will try that, yes, I tried with the OEM i believe 2006, then I am using 2011 copied disk, that might be it, thanks...

·
Registered
396 Posts
That may be my issue as well. I have a 2005 or 2006 map disc. Got the updated coding completed and i see the same "transferring messages" but never get the data. Looks like it is time for a new map disc. Are you saying that a copied or aftermarket disc does not typically work? That you must get the OEM version? TIA.
It should work once you get the updated maps CD to least 2007+. No I wanted to avoid any problems a copied CD could have so I opted to go with getting one from the dealership. You can get a copied one off ebay and have no problems but I've heard sometimes the DVD drive stops reading the CD. Unless the seller is willing to provide one every time this would happen ;).

·
Registered
275 Posts
i guess we need to update or software in order for the traffic to work, I already have the newer one since mine is an 06 model my screen is gray not brown. I'll post more updates once I get the software updated.

·
Registered
275 Posts
ohh, didn't see the post after I guess I will search for a 2007 maps disc hopefully that will do it then. So any 2007 nav disc from bmw should work? I will begin my search on Ebay.

·
Registered
396 Posts
ohh, didn't see the post after I guess I will search for a 2007 maps disc hopefully that will do it then. So any 2007 nav disc from bmw should work? I will begin my search on Ebay.
Technically yes remember Real Time Traffic Information was available for the 2007 models. Why not look for a 2012 maps nav disc instead? If you are going to be buying a copied one might as well go for the latest and greatest :cheers:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Technically yes remember Real Time Traffic Information was available for the 2007 models. Why not look for a 2012 maps nav disc instead? If you are going to be buying a copied one might as well go for the latest and greatest :cheers:
You are correct, I just sent you a PM!

·
Registered
139 Posts
your right, but I have been lucky so far, I downloaded the 2011 from a torrent site, copied to dvd and its been great ever since. no issues, except for no traffic, lol,

I'll try to get a new OEM copy to see if it works.

Oh, i had my car at the dealer a few weeks back, they spent 5.5 hours updating all my software, I have the latest and greatest, so now when I push my active seats button, it shows up in my Idrive, its a waste bcuz you still cant do anything with it but its there, its just either on or off. but, it maybe just me but before my software upgrade my active seats were so sensative, now, i really need to turn the wheel and feel them, maybe to many complaints from other drivers, or could just be mine.

by the way, if anyone has coding done and then goes to the dealer for software update, REMEMBER, all your coding gets wiped out. you'll have to get it done again...

·
Registered
396 Posts
your right, but I have been lucky so far, I downloaded the 2011 from a torrent site, copied to dvd and its been great ever since. no issues, except for no traffic, lol,

I'll try to get a new OEM copy to see if it works.
So you have RTTI coded to your car and have a 2011 maps CD and traffic still does not work? Hmm you might have another issue. Technically it should have worked with the 2011 maps you downloaded though.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts