BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surfing the BMWNA website, there is NO reference to a manual transmission. Only SMG. Is there a definitive answer to that? :confused2

·
Registered
86 Posts
Manual will be out for US M5 M6 only and it won't be this year
for sure..
maybe mid 2006 or at the end of it. you can read more about
it in Gustv interview with that guy who is the M class
manager in BMW, "i belive its in the M6 forum"

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Everything I have read says the manual will be offered "in the future", and that it is "in development". My guess, 07 at the earliest.

This is one of my biggest decisions to make... do I wait?

·
Registered
86 Posts
vndkshn said:
Everything I have read says the manual will be offered "in the future", and that it is "in development". My guess, 07 at the earliest.

This is one of my biggest decisions to make... do I wait?
Don't know about you But, SMG III sounds good enough
for me unless a manual comes out after and in proformance
it has more power I will "Then" Switch to manual after tryin
SMG III

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
There are those here that prefer the interaction of the clutch and shifter, over the "video game" "paddle-thingy". I am willing to get SMG3 a shot.. but I would much prefer a manual myself.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Dan,
You could get an early SMG M5 and get on the list for a stick shift one. Drive the SMG car and make your mind up. You can do this via leasing or just taking the depreciation hit. Both are expensive options if you end up not liking SMG, but its not like you are not getting something for your money (the car will be great either way) and you are getting the experinece of driving SMG and making an informed decision. So the question will become, assuming a 3 year period for a lease, what is worse? Depreciation or lease costs? The lease has the benefit of much lower initial capital and ease of exit. The downside is if you want to keep the car..... Maybe you could get the dealer to let you try the car for a few days?.............

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The demand seems high enough that you could drive it for a few weeks and get all of your money back on resale (maybe more) if you don't like the SMG or other elements of the car.

Tom

·
Registered
86 Posts
bernhtp said:
The demand seems high enough that you could drive it for a few weeks and get all of your money back on resale (maybe more) if you don't like the SMG or other elements of the car.

Tom
A manual is great however it will be a while and i don't mind
buying SMGIII and later i will order a manual .. :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Both are expensive options if you end up not liking SMG, but its not like you are not getting something for your money (the car will be great either way) and you are getting the experinece of driving SMG and making an informed decision.
I think this is exactly what I am planning. Of course, it all depends on price. There is a price I won't go past.

·
Registered
764 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Dan,
You could get an early SMG M5 and get on the list for a stick shift one. Drive the SMG car and make your mind up. You can do this via leasing or just taking the depreciation hit. Both are expensive options if you end up not liking SMG, but its not like you are not getting something for your money (the car will be great either way) and you are getting the experinece of driving SMG and making an informed decision. So the question will become, assuming a 3 year period for a lease, what is worse? Depreciation or lease costs? The lease has the benefit of much lower initial capital and ease of exit. The downside is if you want to keep the car..... Maybe you could get the dealer to let you try the car for a few days?.............
If you get a decent lease deal and the manual comes out soon thereafter, you may find someone to assume the lease on the SMG car at www.swapalease.com. cherrsagai

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am going to wait for the manual..... SMG is just not my cup of tea....... I can't seem to like it.... It works fine but it is not involving....

For race track: SMG
For personal use: manual

·
Registered
66 Posts
Manual transmission is out of date.
I have driven the new M5 this afternoon and the SMG works fabulous.
Its not to compare with other BMW cars, this is really fun to do.
Everyday you are waiting is a lost day

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You can guys can take this for what it's worth and consider the source. I was at the stealer's today getting an Ipod adapter installed in my new M3. The sales guy who sold me my M5 said he had recently heard that the M5 would be introduced in Canada with a manual transmission the first year.

Take it for what it's worth - sales guys usually know less than anyone else at the stealer's.

·
Registered
383 Posts
M5_2010 said:
I am going to wait for the manual..... SMG is just not my cup of tea....... I can't seem to like it.... It works fine but it is not involving....

For race track: SMG
For personal use: manual
ditto

1 - 14 of 14 Posts