BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I didn't see this question answered directly in the faq page. I am looking to buy a Peake tool so I can service as much of my vehicle by myself as possible. My friend has the Peake tool for the older cars, that includes mine, but I would like to have my own tool. My question is, since I also have the OBDII connector, can I buy the 2001-2007 tool and read from that port? Can you retrieve all of the same data? This way between me and my friend we can scan a wider range of cars, rather than both of us having the same tool.

Thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
You could meet a member and try their Peake, or visit an Autozone/similar and see if they can read off that dash port.

·
Registered
879 Posts
You'll need to use the round diag port under the hood for the most reliable results. The dash port is only in place to meet OBDII standards and the diag ports weren't integrated together until 2001.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

AMP said:
You'll need to use the round diag port under the hood for the most reliable results. The dash port is only in place to meet OBDII standards and the diag ports weren't integrated together until 2001.
Ill confirm this as my car is a 2000.

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Here's the rule of thumb...

If there is a round diagnostic port under the hood then you need to use that.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here's the rule of thumb...

If there is a round diagnostic port under the hood then you need to use that.
Correct...you must use the round port for MY 2000

1 - 7 of 7 Posts