BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I just was e-mailed from ACR and they are coming out with a new wheel that will clear the BBK on M5/M6 it has a different barrel design in the wheel to clear the brakes.
Good deal....that's awesome!
I told Eddy if they had the ARC-8's in a 19" that I would totally get a set to use as daily wheels. He said they were already considering it, and would possibly be released sometime next year:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So, finally had my track day weekend, or I should say my wife did....as I sat this one out. Anyway, the car is soooooooo much faster out on the track with this wheel/ tire set-up compared to the OEM wheels with street tires. The slicks just stuck and kept on sticking (especially in the corners) for nine 30 minute sessions over 2 days. The tires held up great, and even without front camber plates the tires wore very evenly. I did rotate front to back on day 2 during the lunch break, but I didn't really need to, but I was very pleased how evenly they wore. My wife decreased her lap times by 9 seconds from when she did the same track back in November with street tires. I rode with her for several sessions, and I was just blown away by the difference. I'm downloading vids now and should have them posted up later. I did take a few crappy pics with my go-pro as my good camera took a dump.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm just waiting on the 18 that will clear my brake's and then I'm in.. You car looks great with those track tires on it....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'm just waiting on the 18 that will clear my brake's and then I'm in.. You car looks great with those track tires on it....
Thanks buddy. When do the wheels come out that clear the bbk's?

I found a couple more pictures I had taken on my iPhone...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great information, are you running stock brakes on the car? Likely upgraded pads, but stock calipers? If I go full track monster it would mean an upgrade to Stoptech brakes but I do love those wheels.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Stock pads and calipers. I may upgrade to an aftermarket pad...but stock for now. Only thing brake related I've upgraded was the fluid

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Registered
103 Posts
Running against some serious track machines there. I am curious how the M6 contended with all those cars that showed up in the pics. Usually when I go to track events up here there are a lot less serious cars there. You seem to be in amoungst some real monsters, even an actual stock car.

Love to hear details of that day.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Great pictures Keith! Glad to hear you're pleased with the new setup and it worked well. Look forward to seeing the vids...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)

·
Registered
205 Posts
:eek:h::eek:h::eek:h: So Sick!!! Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was there and had the pleasure of riding in this BEAST. It was an experience that I will never forget. The first lap scared the hell out of me but after you feel the confidence in his tire/wheel setup it was a blast. Thanks Keith!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thank you for sharing. This is a great thread. I am looking forward to setup my car just like yours.
I assume the offset and specs should be all the same for the M6 & M5. Is that a correct assumption?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I think the offsets are different between the E60 M5 and E63 M6....I could be wrong though. My track wheels are E92 M3 offsets so I do use spacers front and rear

·
Registered
106 Posts
All -

I know this is an old thread, but I was considering a similar set up. Before I pull the trigger, I had a few questions. Anyone have any issues with this set up since the time of the original posts? Anyone have any issues with the transition from street tires to slicks? What's the learning curve like?

Thanks.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
All -

I know this is an old thread, but I was considering a similar set up. Before I pull the trigger, I had a few questions. Anyone have any issues with this set up since the time of the original posts? Anyone have any issues with the transition from street tires to slicks? What's the learning curve like?

Thanks.
Street tires to slicks is a very big change. I would not advise it until the driver has significant track experience, getting the car to the limit, turning off DSC (but don't do that on your first track day), and learning where those limits are and how the car reacts there. It also would make sense to try an R-compound tire as an intermediate step. Above all, the most dramatic gains are not from performance parts but from good coaching.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks -- I have significant experience (BMW 2-day M School, Advanced M School, 2 days at Circuit of the Americas, completed the level 1, 2, 3 and advanced road racing classes at my local track and more than 20 HPE events). Really, I am at the limit of what my street tires on stock wheels can offer (I have springs and RD sway bars). Was interested in the feedback from those running this set up and whether the performance gains/increase in fun, will offset the cost. Obviously, there's no good way to lose 1,000 lbs of weight, but would like to improve the performance somewhat. Have heard that on the slicks the breakaway can be uneven. Thoughts on this set up/worthwhile?

Thanks.

41 - 60 of 110 Posts