BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I borrowed my wife family's E240 with panoramic roof. It is quite a nice sedan but the steering is DEAD! I don't know whether the car is going straight or turning, there is not feel at all! Good car for 60 yrs old couple but not my taste thank you.

Ergonomics is ok, but the command thing is a joke. Too many buttons that distracts me. Use the steering wheel buttons.

To make the matters worse this morning the BRAKES FAILED COMPLETELY. I was about to go to the church when the car suddenly lost its brakes. I was rolling down my driveway an 5km/h without any brakes. THAT WAS REALLY SCARY! The car wouldn't even shift to reverse. The computer said "Brakes fail, pls stop the car immediately". Yeah, right... HOW?

Some smart genius engineers at MBZ thinks that they need to interfere the hydraulic brakes by letting a computer stands between my foot and the brake discs. How nice!!!

It turns out that the car already has a computer module changed at around 2,000km.

I would'nt even touch it with a 10ft pole from now on. That brake failure thing REALLY SCARED ME. What if that happen when I'm drivng 120?

Man that was scary.

The car was in the dealer for a three weeks this May due to computer malfunction. IIRC the module that control the brakes was changed.

The car now has 3 malfunctions:

1. Battery convenience blah blah blah disconnected.
2. STOP! Brake Malfunction, please stop the car immediately.
3. ESP malfunction.

BTW the car just turned 1 year old and covered 4,300 km.

I have huge respect for E55 owners, imagine having that problem on the autobahn at 250km/h.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The new generation of Mercedes Benzs are very well known now. They're not very well built. However, your E240's brake problem may be connected to a safety recall Mercedes issued recently for the SBC brake system. They call it a "precautionary measure". Sent in my mums E200 Kompressor recently for the recall.

Tell you the truth sitting in the Merc, my friend's Toyota Corolla feels better built.

Millie

·
Registered
853 Posts
Oh when i sent in the E200 for its "precautionary" recall, I took the opportunity to take a look at the new CLS. Great looking car i have to admit. So i circled around the car, opened the door and sat in the driver's seat. When i slammed the door shut....the glove compartment lid fell open!! I dont know if its a new feature but i was laughing!! I was commenting to the salesman on how "well built" the CLS felt (all a while LMAO inside).

Millie

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The brake control module was chaged about 3 months ago.
I hope they changed it with the improved parts, not just the same defective one.

Again... STUPID CAR!!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Toyota has the best reliability in cars. It shows in their bottomline. The most profitable car company in the world. Lexus is much better. I guess the germans have a lot to learn.

Do you guys think this electronic stuff is getting too much? Imagine what can happen 5 years from now when the electronics already "aged". I won't be surprised to see a decrease in the world's population due to more brake failures :p

Millie, do you know which part was changed during the recall?
The car was towed this morning. I haven't heard about the dealer's comment on the problem yet.

·
Registered
853 Posts
BlueBiturbo said:
Toyota has the best reliability in cars. It shows in their bottomline. The most profitable car company in the world. Lexus is much better. I guess the germans have a lot to learn.

Do you guys think this electronic stuff is getting too much? Imagine what can happen 5 years from now when the electronics already "aged". I won't be surprised to see a decrease in the world's population due to more brake failures :p

Millie, do you know which part was changed during the recall?
The car was towed this morning. I haven't heard about the dealer's comment on the problem yet.

Yup Toyotas are some of the most reliable cars. They're also duller than...well Mercedes Benzs to drive :hihi: As for Lexus, I've heard some reliability issues regarding the new GS300.

Sorry Blue, dont know which part was changed. I know that the recall had to do with the sensonic brake control system. Good luck with the car! My recommendation - get rid of it and get a 530i! :biggrin:

Millie

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Actually my in-laws bought the E to replace a 1996 E39 528i. Surprisingly the Bimmer had no problems whatsoever during its 8 years and 40k+ kilometers. They were thinking of an E60 530i but got bored of buying the same model and thought that the MBZ will be more reliable thant a Bimmer. I thought the same too. Wrong!

At That time they also bought a Range 4.4 and a Cayenne. Quite good actually, nothing wrong with them until today. Their previous '98 Range 4.6 was quite bad and sold after a few months.

My wife's 1996 W124 E320 was also sold last year at 35k+, no problem there except new A/C after 8 years. She bought a Toyota Alphard as a replacement. Better build quality than any MBZ can ever be. Glad she made the right choice.

·
Registered
329 Posts
did you know the american MB (even the AMG) are different from the european when it comes to suspension and steering, over the seas it drives like a sofa, in europe it has sportier handling and steering

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
BlueBiturbo said:

I thought Porsche was the most profitable car company...or maybe it is profit margin? I dunno, I know nothing about economics.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, I don't know where the comment that Toyota is the most profitable in the world came from. Porsche is 1st, then BMW. The last figure I saw was from 2003, but I don't think there has been much of a change in the rankings since then. Toyota sells (mostly) economy cars that have lower margins and higher volume.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://www.fortune.com/fortune/global500

IIRC Toyota made $10 Billion net profit which is about 10% net profit margin. Quite good compared to other car manufacturers which is mainly around 3%-5%. I don't know the figure of Porsche AG.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts