BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: X-pipe and Magnaflows 1481x

Maybe flatulence in a blizzard here but I figured I might as well throw the idea, maybe something will come out of it.

There are a bunch of us who are interested in upgrading our exhaust systems but are on a bit of a budget. Anyone who's seen recent threads discussing the Magnaflow mufflers knows that some of us (like iconoclast and I) are huge fans of this sound. Yet, we've been told by a number of people that this same sound should be theoretically achieved by simply removing the resonators and installing the cans. Recent clips of this very same setup tell a very different story: they arent as deep, and are very raspy.

Another key aspect is that we dont want a very loud car at revolutions below 4k.

No one seems to be going for this setup, and no one seems to have any plans.

A big concern for me is getting this package and then having to pay to remove the x-pipe, should I find it overly loud. This is where I had a bit of an idea coming home from work today:

What if we share the cost of uninstall? I would gladly pay a bit in order to insure that it would be something that I'd like (or not like), as opposed to taking a blind plunge.

If someone gets this installed and they like it, then all is well. If not, and turns out that an uninstall is the choice, then we could pitch in as some sort of retribution for being a guinea pig. Surely, proof of costs would have to be posted and we'd need a list of people who would be willing to help out, but it could be a start. As for the x-pipes, they could be sold or slapped on top of your couch in the living room for an awesome display piece :hihi:

Once this is done, we could compare this car to a bone-stock one and do a bit of a comprehensive write-up of sound at cruising speed, what it would sound like from a 3rd person, etc, etc (given that 2 board members can get together and compare, of course).

I realize that this can be a bit risky and there's a potential for scamming, not to mention that this is a niche group of guys who want this specific setup, but perhaps we can work something out with established trust-worthy members here (not that I've come across any who aren't)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the magnaflow 14816's and a magnaflow x pipe sitting in the garage. Hopfully I can give more insight or a review (with video clips) in a week or two when I have them installed.

I know plenty of others have posted this info before, but I'll pitch in one more review anyway.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is excellent news, man! Keep us posted :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
acording to an expert in the matter of exhaust tuning and such,"x-pipe should decrease the sound level by 6 db average, compared to h-pipe or straight pipes"

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
acording to an expert in the matter of exhaust tuning and such,"x-pipe should decrease the sound level by 6 db average, compared to h-pipe or straight pipes"
I can see how this is possible. Every clip of systems without resonators sounds insanely loud.

Are you saying that x-pipe and mufflers woulddnt sound as loud as resonators and cans?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
an X-pipe might decrease the sound level over an H-pipe or straight pipe, however, it won't decrease it when the H-pipe/straight pipe also has a resonator.

I would try the X-pipe, and if it's too loud, maybe add some Magnaflow resonators and then see how it sounds

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I can see how this is possible. Every clip of systems without resonators sounds insanely loud.

Are you saying that x-pipe and mufflers woulddnt sound as loud as resonators and cans?
+1 on what xr4tic said. it's only compared to straight or h pipe with no resonators. of course this i got from a web site that develops and sells mufflers and exhaust components

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I am planning on doing what xr4tic said, and trying the magnaflow resonators if it's too loud with just an x-pipe and cans.. seems sensible enough. but i'm hoping to like the x-pipe/magnaflow 14816 set up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
+1 i am also going with the x-pipe magnaflow 14816 combo in a week or two and will record it on a camcorder so everyone will finally get to here idle, rev, takeoff, downshift, and in car acceleration, and cruising. i had had a corsa sport system on my tahoe and yes it was loud and raspy at startup and sounded like a straight pipe without the popping on acceleration, but at any cruising speed, whisper quite. i kinda know what I'm looking for. i am also ok with drone while driving around town, but defenitly not on the interstate at 75 mph.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I got mine put on today. But no videos for a few days since it's raining today. :grrrrr: Now my brand new tips are all yucky from driving home. I'll post a new topic in the next few days with pics/videos. Here's one from today:

It sounds good so far, maybe a little raspy when I was standing behind the car, and had someone rev it. But couldn't really get on it all the way home, since it was pouring. Plus I'm sure the mufflers need to break in a little bit.

Well I'm happy for now.:thumbsup::M5rev:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Fitment looks perfect ChrisR:M5thumbs:

Minimal gap between top of muffler tips and bottom of rear diffuser looks the best.

:cheers:

·
Registered
230 Posts
chris,
how much for the install, if you don't mind?
installed mufllers upside down?
and are you going to leave the cans polished or paint them black?
sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
362 Posts
chris,
how much for the install, if you don't mind?
installed mufllers upside down?
and are you going to leave the cans polished or paint them black?
sorry for all the questions
Install was very cheap, since I know the installer well :haha2:

Yes, Mufflers were installed upside down, didn't want the "magnaflow" to be seen.

I'm not sure about painting them or not. I will have to look at it for a week or 2 and then decide if I want to paint them black or not. I contenplated that for a while before I put them on, but decided I can just easily paint them later if I want to.

·
Registered
230 Posts
oh and did you mount the xpipe where the factory resonator was or in the h-pipe location?

·
Registered
362 Posts
X pipe was mounted where the H pipe was located, resonator removed.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Can't wait to hear it

·
Registered
230 Posts
ok just ordered the cans today from hotexhaust.com. $288.xx shipped ask for john. already have the x-pipe sitting at home, so hopefully installed first week of march because i am moving next week and that is going to take all my time and energy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
sound clips PLEASE I have an X-pipe sitting in my garage waiting to be installed on my 14816's

1 - 20 of 28 Posts