BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has been a LONG road, but I think we finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. A few tweaks here and there, nothing major, and the car will be finished. Yes, finished. Then on to the next project.

First, let me thank Tuning Tech by Frank Smith for going WAY, WAY, WAY above and beyond with getting the "black cat" sorted. Back in October, I contacted Frank about tuning the car. We agreed on a price, and that was that. Frank insisted on sticking with that price regardless of the unexpected 100+ hours he put in on the car. I dropped the car off in October, expecting to get it back within a few weeks, but Adam and Frank had to fix mechanical issue after mechanical issue. The date just kept getting pushed back. Waiting on parts, chasing belt slip, fabricating parts, searching for boost leaks, welding the plenum back together, installing cats, etc, etc, etc. Frank is the REAL DEAL kids. Adam is an M5 guru. Doug is a bad azz aluminum welder.

Adam, what can I saw. I will always be in your debt. Thank you.

Rob, Peter, Steve, Brian, Ray, Doug etc. Thank you for being there for me. Expert advice, positive criticism, negative criticism (lol), and talking me away from the ledge many times.

The background starts years ago, but here is the newer(ish) background for those who don't know, or even care.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/357058-update-saga.html

Some pictures.

New Brembos, front and rear.

Dyno

Engine bay

And of course, what everyone wants to see, the dyno sheets...........

Frank's Dynocom dyno:

Dynojet Dyno: 5th gear pulls. Ambient temp 78 degrees.

As you can see from the Dynojet sheet, I have a boost leak above 6600rpm. Probably either a loose clamp or a broken plenum again. :grrrr: I will get that sorted out. As per my request, Frank made the tune SAFE. That is why it is running a little rich. He is definitely leaving a little horsepower on the table, but I don't care. Would I notice a difference between 575hp and 600hp? Probably not. I have a piece of mind knowing that the AFR's are in the safe zone. The car runs like a raped date. It makes power in any gear, at any time, yet drives like a stock car when I'm not on the loud pedal. EXACTLY what I wanted. :wroom:

For all of the dyno analyzing folk. I don't know what the correction factors where and I don't know what magic pixie dust was used. This is the same dyno I have used since I got the car to check my HP. The owner tunes domestics and claims he never changes any settings. I've taken it there when my car was bone stock, with my Powerchip tune, my Evolve tune, my original RMS kit and tune, and now my FS Tuning Tech tune. Please, if you want to banter about the dyno sheets, don't. Honestly, I don't care what kind of power it makes at this point. IT IS AMAZING TO DRIVE. I will post up my trap speeds from the Timmayfest track day on June 6th. My 1/4 mile times will suck because #1 I can't drive and #2 that track is an ice rink. Trap speeds will tell the tale.

What do I do from here?

*Get the plenum recoated to fix the missing paint due to having to weld it back together.

*More than likely have the bottom of the plenum rebuilt. It still has the possibility of falling apart. NOT because of Doug's repair work (that's flawless) but because of the crappy welds from original fabrication.

*Purchase t-bolt clamps to replace all of the worm clamps.

*Refabricate the pipe between the SC'r and the plenum. The existing one is too thin and junk. I also need to move the meth nozzle and the BOV. The BOV is dangerously close to the hood and is directly over the positive battery connection. (original design from the kit)

*Clean up the wiring that is EVERYWHERE. (That is my fault for not doing it right the first time.)

*Go back to the drawing board with my crank case vent system. The pump is NOT kicking on at 2psi as designed, and I am not getting ANY vacuum at boost.

*Possibly add a tank for additional water capacity for the aftercooler system.

*Rod bearings

*Reinforce the diff.

The only thing I have planned to get done before Timmayfest is rebuilding the pressure pipe. The rest can wait until after. It runs and it runs well.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I cannot wait to see MCinco on the strip at Timmayfest. Congratulations on finally having her home a running the way you want. Thank you for the long awaited re-introduction. Also, is that offer for a ride from last year still good?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Frank seemed pretty happy that the black cat was on its way home :)

Glad to see you were finally able to get it home in 95% condition. I saw her at Adam's and the she looks awesome.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Liking the blue calipers with the Dinans. Have you considered a new plenum instead of trying to re-engineer this one?

The cost of a new one is astronomical. I could engineer and build one of my own for less. Lol. I can, or have someone, rebuild this one for a very low fee.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cannot wait to see MCinco on the strip at Timmayfest. Congratulations on finally having her home a running the way you want. Thank you for the long awaited re-introduction. Also, is that offer for a ride from last year still good?

You're welcome to take it for a spin if you'd like!! I trust you..... I'd like to get multiple impressions from fellow owners. I can trust that is. Lol.

Reactions: LalaRay and AGM5

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
FINALLY! It so gratifying to read this thread, knowing what Tim has gone through over the last year or two. At last, his beast is truly on the road to recovery. It is not always easy to keep the faith when one problem after another rears its ugly head. Mere mortals would have thrown in the towel!!

So now the big issues are resolved, it really is sorting through the little stuff. All important, but with a functioning beast, it seems somehow easier to deal with. Tuning for safety is very mature, a few hp either way are simply for bragging rights!!

Carry on!!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
You're welcome to take it for a spin if you'd like!! I trust you..... I'd like to get multiple impressions from fellow owners. I can trust that is. Lol.

Wow. I am most honored by your trust and generosity. I have a fear that it might create a mod'ing monster within me.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Congrats Tim, I hope that you find that the journey was worth it!!!

James

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear this saga is coming to an end and you will have a hell of an M5!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I saw this at franks shop a little white ago.. looked like a MONSTER.. congrats on getting it sorted out.

and +1.. Frank and his team are top notch.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Good sh*t

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

I'd give my left nut to drive that car!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Great to hear you are well on your way to getting your beast where you want it Tim. I have been follwoing along for quite some time on your build and glad you didnt give up.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
This is truly where your patience and hard work has paid off.

Reactions: timmay77
1 - 20 of 34 Posts