1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
First, sorry for my English!:1zhelp:

And that is my question:
Does anyone have experience with RDSport Springs and Sway Bars (front and rear)? What better RD springs and bars, or Dinan S2 kit?
RD have front adjustble sway bar, and Dinan have only "roll control system"/ Rear bar of Dinan - 19 mm, and RD - 22mm. But on the other side - RD bars and springs - it just stand alone parts, and Dinan S2 - its already tested, balanced,and tuned kit.

Please help me, or I'll brake my mind.

Every opinion, feedback, or experience is very valuable for me!

Thanks, Serg:cheers:

PS Hope you understend me:7:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I definitely like the fact that the Dinan Suspension kit is tested and has had relatively positive reviews from those who have already installed it. One thing that I find troubling about RD Sport, is the warning you get when you view www.racingdynamics.com . The disclaimer about shady practices and unauthorized replicas kind of turns me off to the company who sells their products in the US, RD Sport.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I don't know the RD Sport kit, but I recently added the Dinan exhaust and S2 Suspension. I am a very happy customer. I did a two-day event at Laguna Seca after the install and felt a significant (although I would not say "dramatic") improvement in handling.

To be honest, where I noticed the most is on windy backroads where I like to toss the car around. Before the car would understeer/push. Now it feels like a proper RWD car where you can rotate the back end around corners.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just FYI, the warning is....

not about RD Sport, but is intended to be a jab at Electrodyne, or whatever they may be called now (if they are still in business). Electrodyne used to have a license to sell Racing Dynamics, and even manufactured some of the stuff domestically (or worse). I was hung up in that mess back in the 90's when I owned a couple of retail accessory shops. But Federico and the guys at RD Sport I think have overcome that mess (I'll let other customers judge that). All I can say is that the products I have used are first rate and will use them again. That being said, you always have to buy from someone you know will take care of you on the other side, and protect yourself by using a major card to purchase. Just my .02.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I'm reviving this thread to see if anyone else has had any experience with the RDSport sway bars since this was originally posted.

I currently have the RDSport springs and the Dinan front and rear CF strut braces. I swapped the strut bars over from my 545. With this set up I still feel body roll in corners. I actually feel that my M5 doesn't handle as well as my 545 with the KW V2 coilovers and Dinan strut braces (and Active Roll Stabilization).

So I'm debating between getting the Dinan Stage 2 (just the rear sway bar and the front roll control system) or the RDSport sway bars.

Any opinions/advices will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
605 Posts
BOTH! I have RDSport springs, with Dinan Roll Control and Rear Sway and love my setup! Low and handles good, PERFECTO!! :)
Evan

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for bringing this thread back.

I have Dinan Stage 2 (and both CF strut braces), and wonder about using the H&R or RDS springs in front.

I like the lower look, and have heard the RDS have better ride quality than the H&R. Does either improve on the Dinan handling characteristics? Are there significant everyday drive tradeoffs?

Anyone with either spring combination with Dinan Stage 2, your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Looks like the reply from AMG ETR above is your answer.

My personal experience with the RDSport springs is that the ride is great and I don't feel any trade-offs in everyday driving. It's more aggressive than Dinan and H&R yet I have no rubbing issues with my tire/wheel setup even with the car fully loaded. I also liked the more lowered look in the front compared to the Dinan springs.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know what makes up the Dinan front roll control system and has anyone done their own install? I was going to have my local performance shop do the install since they're right by my work. Dinan HQ is not that far from my house but it's still 15 miles in the opposite direction of my normal commute.

·
Registered
605 Posts
On a slightly different note, does anyone know what makes up the Dinan front roll control system and has anyone done their own install? I was going to have my local performance shop do the install since they're right by my work. Dinan HQ is not that far from my house but it's still 15 miles in the opposite direction of my normal commute.
Its very easy, just sway bar mounting tabs!! I think the only power tool required is a drill and it even comes with the drill bit you need! Here is a pic of mine before it was installed!
Complete Kit:

One Side:

Hope that helps!
Evan

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Thanks Evan. Would you happen to know how it works, what does it do? I'm guessing it improves the front sway bar to eliminate body roll but just wondering how it does it if you happen to know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks Evan. Would you happen to know how it works, what does it do? I'm guessing it improves the front sway bar to eliminate body roll but just wondering how it does it if you happen to know.

Thanks.
The Dinan front "roll control" is just a fancy way of adjusting the factory bar to make the setting stiffer - as you can see it only consists of tabs mounted to the ends of each side.

As you move the sway bar end link mount points towards the 'centerline' of the bar you increase the stiffness of the bar. The physics behind it relatively simple - the bent arm of the sway bar is a lever. As you increase the length of the lever, the easier it is to twist the bar. And conversely, as you shorten the lever arm, it becomes more difficult to twist the bar.

The Dinan FRC moves the end link mount towards the centerline a little, thus increasing the effective stiffness of the bar. The reason for the small tab, is that they are not increasing it a lot. They have you drill the hole in the stock swaybar to mount the tab. The reason the hold drilled is not actually used is because I imagine it was too stiff for Dinan. They needed to have the mount somewhere in between the two holes. Because there is not enough material left to support the new hole (without it elongating) they made the tab to move it instead. It's a clever solution, I only hope they're not over charging for it.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
That's great info Harold. THANKS!

As far as costs, the total for the rear sway bar and FRC is $278. The RDSport f&r sway bars list for $800 although I can get it cheaper, but still alot more than $278. Seems like a no brainer if you just look at price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts