BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RD Sport 5.8 stroker build or RS58 has been finished for several months now and this upgrade is simply amazing. The torque gains throughout the RPM range is nothing short of spectacular and coupled with the HP gains puts the M5 in true supercar territory. Thanks again to Federico and Antonio for making it all happen, great guys and even greater tuners. Their attention to the build detail would make even the craziest OCD individual smile from ear to ear. Even the 1,000 mile break in period was done with a special engine oil to assure the new parts seat properly. I also installed the RD Sport race headers, race cats, X pipe and rear competition exhaust. I finished off the build with front and rear RD Sport sway bars and BBK. I also passed CA emissions, amazing. Finally I had Mike Benvo complete a CIC upgrade which I highly recommend. Mike did a great job with a very clean installation. The increase in processing speed, audio quality, capabilities, and HD graphics are well worth the investment.

With these upgrades I believe I have the best of all worlds, the E60 M5, with one of the last NA V10 engines plus all of the latest electronics to rival even the latest F10 models. I couldn't be happier. If anyone is ever in south OC, please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Amazing! I was waiting for this thread ever since I heard from a little birdie your car was finished. Will you be posting any videos of the exhaust setup? I'm curious of the sound I've never heard the RDSport headers or their full setup before.

Everything looks like it came out amazing and the wheels look fantastic with the BBK. Can't go wrong with some HREs.

Also what warranty does RDSport offer on their stroker builds?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Congrats! In for sound clips.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Reactions: leonelm3-m5

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,264 Posts
Congrats! Federico was trying to tempt me for a Stroker build a couple years ago. I said I'd think about it after I finished my other Stroker build on my e28 m5.

I have no doubt that he did a great job!

Congrats again!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Congratulations bro ........ that's one heck of a build. In for videos and pictures of the said exhaust.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Awesome!

Congrats! I too am Patiently awaiting Videos of its sound and what your thoughts are after 5k miles and a few events

what did she put down on a Dyno?

T

·
0 Posts
What are the specs on the stroker rotating assembly?

Did they increase the piston size or use the stock pistons?

Dyno sheet?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Amazing! I was waiting for this thread ever since I heard from a little birdie your car was finished. Will you be posting any videos of the exhaust setup? I'm curious of the sound I've never heard the RDSport headers or their full setup before.

Everything looks like it came out amazing and the wheels look fantastic with the BBK. Can't go wrong with some HREs.

Also what warranty does RDSport offer on their stroker builds?
Who you calling a little birdie? :hihi:

Awesome build Michael.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Interesting, RD Sport has built a brand new engine for that 5.8L stroker effort, but Dinan's 5.8L is just a bored stock block. How much did the 5.8L engine build cost? Something tells me it was about the price of the whole car itself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Troy,
Pistons are custom high performance Mahle with the latest top end design to maximize power, rods are custom Carrillo "H" beam design, crankshaft is a custom billet design that also addresses the rod bearing issue of the stock BMW crank. Balanced and blueprinted, reciprocating mass reduction of approximately 2kg, the mass reduction is huge when your spinning at 6,000+RPMs, the block was bored to accommodate the pistons but the bore is designed to maintain a safety margin of material between the cylinder walls

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hi Troy,
Pistons are custom high performance Mahle with the latest top end design to maximize power, rods are custom Carrillo "H" beam design, crankshaft is a custom billet design that also addresses the rod bearing issue of the stock BMW crank. Balanced and blueprinted, reciprocating mass reduction of approximately 2kg, the mass reduction is huge when your spinning at 6,000+RPMs, the block was bored to accommodate the pistons but the bore is designed to maintain a safety margin of material between the cylinder walls

2-kg is huge, well done.

Can the stock crank be modified to address the rod bearing issue (such as smaller diameter journals?), or does it require a new forging (such as in order to lay out the oil passages in a different configuration)?

In the future will the crank be available for sale as a stand alone item (or at least a piston rod and crank package)?

Even if one does not elect to open up the heads, put in aggressive cams; in order to get that king of the hill dyno figure, just keeping the cams and heads stock and allowing a wide fat torque curve would be the greatest benefit and the best value (if longevity is the result).

Even if for some reason the dyno test is under wraps, I would love to just see the torque curve alone from 2,500 to 6,000 RPM

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
over a month and no update...OP how's the beast doing??

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Would be nice to see numbers as I want to compare it to Dinans stroker kit and then to Troys new 6.0L stroker kit.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Would be nice to see numbers as I want to compare it to Dinans stroker kit and then to Troys new 6.0L stroker kit.
I'd rather see all three go up against each other in a half mile or something rather than numbers. Like the World's Greatest Drag Race videos, but instead World's Greatest E60 M5 Drag Race! Of course your beast would be in the running for a race like that.

But that's wishful thinking...

Reactions: dandadda
1 - 20 of 72 Posts