BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally I've got new shoes on the car. While changing the tires, I put my RC wheels on the car.

At last I go with TOYO Proxes-T1R tires in 245/40/18 front size and 265/35/18 rear size.
And here we are: the pictures of the rims on the car:

I take the pictures with my cell phone; this is why they are low quality but better than nothing I guess ;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First impressions:

I like the looks very much.
I haven't noticed the weight difference yet since I'm waiting for the break-in of the new tires. However, car becomes more sensitive to steeringwheel inputs.

BUT It hink I made the wrong decision. I should have put 265/40/18 tires. Evenif I now have faster accelerating car due to shorter tire diameter, rear tire/wheel combo seems to me little smaller which is actually a little smaller.

255/40/18 has 101.85mm sidewall height vs. 265/35/18 has 92.71mm.
255/40/18 has radius of 330.45 mm vs 265/35/18 has 321.31mm
On the other hand 265/40 has more profile and sidewall than 255/40/18 but it is closer to stock measures.

I think car bounces little more because of stiffer sidewalls but I'm not sure. However, there is no comprimise in terms of ride comfort.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dirim said:
Onur,

They look great. Enjoy!!! Look forward to your long term report on Toyo Proxes.

Ufuk
Thank you Ufuk :M5thumbs:

As for my further impressions:
The car now turn-ins way quicker and responses steering wheel directions earlier. It is like installing quicker ratio steering.
However, car is little nerves at the back. At high speed corners and fast lane changes, rear feels to brake loose. I don't know; either it is because of new tires or wrong tire size choice.

Today I talked to my tire shop and told them that they recommend me the wrong size and I'm not satisfied with the rear tires. I told them that I'll return the 265/35 tires and pay the difference and I'll put 275/35 tires.
I'm not very comfortable with this setup evenif the car sticks to asphalt better.

I used to feel more in control with the old tire/wheel combo; and I don't know why. hmmm

·
Moderator Emeritus
600 Posts
pride355 said:
However, car is little nerves at the back. At high speed corners and fast lane changes, rear feels to brake loose. I don't know; either it is because of new tires or wrong tire size choice.

Today I talked to my tire shop and told them that they recommend me the wrong size and I'm not satisfied with the rear tires. I told them that I'll return the 265/35 tires and pay the difference and I'll put 275/35 tires.
I'm not very comfortable with this setup evenif the car sticks to asphalt better.

I used to feel more in control with the old tire/wheel combo; and I don't know why. hmmm
Onur,

Check if the rear wheel offset has anything to do with it? I have the same wheels BBS RC but the rear ones have different offset than the OEM wheels and the car donesn't feel well balanced.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HIPAD said:
Onur,

Check if the rear wheel offset has anything to do with it? I have the same wheels BBS RC but the rear ones have different offset than the OEM wheels and the car donesn't feel well balanced.
Then what to do now??? :confused:
Rear wheels perfectly fit; no problem there.
I have to drive it more..
I love the looks, but I'm not very comfortable with the handling.

·
Moderator Emeritus
600 Posts
pride355 said:
Then what to do now??? :confused:
Rear wheels perfectly fit; no problem there.
I have to drive it more..
I love the looks, but I'm not very comfortable with the handling.
I have to let you know that from the photos your wheels seem to extend all the way till the edge of the wheel arch. In my case they don't extend all the way, they're actually further back inside the wheel well.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
HIPAD said:
Onur,

Which RC wheels do you have and how wide are they at the back?? What offset and which tire size??

·
Moderator Emeritus
600 Posts
This is a quote from tire rack:
If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.
I'll get back to you on the rear wheel size and ET of my RCs. I have 255/40/18 PS1 tires (as OEM).

·
Moderator Emeritus
600 Posts
All wheel & tire combination were selected for E46 M3.

O.Z. Supperleggera:
Size Selected: 18x8 Front
Recommended Tire Size: 225/45-18
Wheel Offset: +40mm

Size Selected: 18x9 Rear
Recommended Tire Size: 255/40-18

O.Z. Supperleggera II
Size Selected: 18x8 Front

Size Selected: 18x10 Rear
Wheel Offset: 27mm

BBS CH
Size Selected: 18x8.5 Front
Wheel Offset: +35mm

BBS RGR
Size Selected: 18x8.5 Front
Wheel Offset: +38mm

Wheel Offset: +25mm

The quote again from tire rack:
If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle
Anybody care to explain why the difference in wheel offset even though the width of the wheel is the same in some cases? What is the optimum wheel width/offet and tire size combination for the M3?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HIPAD,

I think tirerack made typo errors. An 18"*10 width wheel can't have ET40.
Also 255 tires on 10"wide rim would look too stretched.

·
Moderator Emeritus
600 Posts
pride355 said:
HIPAD,

I think tirerack made typo errors. An 18"*10 width wheel can't have ET40.
Also 255 tires on 10"wide rim would look too stretched.
That would be the only explanation I think...or maybe not?! It really confuses you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts