BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,​
I hear this weird and annoying rattling noise from the engine...its like what a deisel engine would sound. The beast has done 115Ks, and the oil consumption is unbeleiveble, i have to add a litre every 500-600 kms:crying2: .​

any suggestions ?​

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Sounds like it could be the VANOS unit failing on you. Not a cheap replacement unfortunately. Run a search on VANOS noise and see what info you can gather to see if the symptoms match up. Best of luck and please let us know hwo you make out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch!! i've heard that its an expensive part. Lets hope it isnt.

I think am gonna take it to BMW dealer to check it when i have the time.
and lets see more replies might get different opinions.

TCM thanks man.:cheers:

·
Registered
784 Posts
M5lust said:
Ouch!! i've heard that its an expensive part. Lets hope it isnt.

I think am gonna take it to BMW dealer to check it when i have the time.
and lets see more replies might get different opinions.

TCM thanks man.:cheers:

FYI...... I had replaced numerous solenoid packs for the VANOS with these symptoms........ the control board with the 4 solenoids integrated is comparatively inexpensive and easy to replace. I share this because several were diagnosed by the dealer as faulty VANOS whereas the all that was required is the board....

Take care

Shadowman

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
There are two ways the vanos control valves can leak:

internally. This will cause various degree of vanos noise increase and general poor vanos performance

Externally. Leak past the sealing O-rings into the vanos valve cover and on to the outside of the engine.

Your car is using extremely much oil. Is there oil visbile on the outside of one of the vanos units (and below on top of the lower engine cover) in a quantity to match the volume of oil you are adding?

David

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
M5lust said:
Hey guys,​
I hear this weird and annoying rattling noise from the engine...its like what a deisel engine would sound. The beast has done 115Ks, and the oil consumption is unbeleiveble, i have to add a litre every 500-600 kms:crying2: .​

any suggestions ?​

Mine sounds like a freakin diesel aswell, but only uses about 0.7liters of oil per 2000km.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey guys, i had it oil serviced.

I've been told its normal but i doubt it,the consumption really freaks me out.

David i couldnt spot any oil visible on the outside. (didnt check the lower part,will do now).

Shadowman how do i know that my symptoms match the ones you dealt with?

Thanks again for your help guys.ouich

·
Registered
784 Posts
M5lust said:
hey guys, i had it oil serviced.

I've been told its normal but i doubt it,the consumption really freaks me out.

David i couldnt spot any oil visible on the outside. (didnt check the lower part,will do now).

Shadowman how do i know that my symptoms match the ones you dealt with?

Thanks again for your help guys.ouich
Good question...

There is no doubt that as a technician ages through exeriences a book of knowledge is created so this is typically why in dealerships there are what are referred to as driveability technicians also those that simply troubleshoot then assign the mechanical process to a less seasoned technician......

In your case it will require a bit of both..... experience and then with the support of a GT1 in the expert mode a VANOS sweep will be run and the solenoids will be isolated and tested separately....... For obvious reasons I can not verify your situation however I have replaced several boards....... and on a few units I have replaced the orings within the VANOS but I have "NEVER" replaced a complete VANOS unit ...... even though a couple that I corrected had been told they needed such by the dealer.

Sadly much of what takes place within the dealership is major system isolation and then systems are replaced when compared to the days gone past where we actually repaired systems.

Take care

Shadowman

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
M5lust said:
Perhaps the noise issue is completely separate from the the oil consumption issue.

Did you ever check the compression of the cylinders? If compression is low, it can cause increased oil consumption.

David

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shadowman thanks for the explanation i think am gonna print your reply and show it to the dealer's technician in case he doesnt know what am talking about.DavidS i never checked the compression, i'll ask them to do that too.
But if it was low can they fix it?

·
Registered
784 Posts
M5lust said:
Shadowman thanks for the explanation i think am gonna print your reply and show it to the dealer's technician in case he doesnt know what am talking about.DavidS i never checked the compression, i'll ask them to do that too.
You are welcome.....

When they hook her up to the GT1 and run the VANOS and solenoid test then should also run a engine "BALANCE" test....... if something looks out of line then the next step would be to do a dry/wet compression test and possibly a leak down....... having stated this...... relax...... do not put the cart in front of the horse so to speak)........

Keep us updated.

Take care

Shadowman

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
M5lust said:
DavidS i never checked the compression, i'll ask them to do that too.
If compression is low due to a worn piston ring, this ring can be replaced. If compression is low due to contamination of a valve seat this can be cleaned.

Shadowman, what happens if the oil-scraper ring is worn, but the compression rings are ok: would that burn oil but not show on a compression test?

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts