BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard bad rattle or squeak stories from some people who've had the split rear seat option (E39). Any insights into how this is or will be on the E60. Not that the M5 should be used as a truck, split rear seems like a good idea if there wasn't a downside?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Are these squeeks when the seat is up or down or both? I haven't heard of that being a problem before and know 2 E39 owners.



Barry said:
I've heard bad rattle or squeak stories from some people who've had the split rear seat option (E39). Any insights into how this is or will be on the E60. Not that the M5 should be used as a truck, split rear seems like a good idea if there wasn't a downside?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
No problems at all ( 545 + M5 = 52000km ) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
No squeeks here (and I'm very conscious of them) on either of my BMWs, both of which had the fold-down feature.

Best regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GREAT that's what I was hoping to hear! A bargin for $475 :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
I have those seats on 2001 e39 M5, 55k miles, never had a squeak. Have re-ordered them for my e60. A must-have as far as I'm concerned, becuase the car is my daily driver and you never know when you're gonna have to carry something too big for the regular trunk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
I concur that the split seats have been free of squeaks and rattles for 50,000 miles and have really come in handy from time to time at Home Depot.

When is it showing up Barry?

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
MAH said:
I concur that the split seats have been free of squeaks and rattles for 50,000 miles and have really come in handy from time to time at Home Depot.

When is it showing up Barry?

Mark
No rattles at all from the split seats on the M5
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,698 Posts
Barry,
I had bad rattles in my E36 with fold down seats. No rattles with my 2000 E39 without the fold down seats and so far no rattles in 14,000 miles on my 2003 E39 M5 with the fold down seats.

Supposedly on the E39 the fold down seat cars seat cars had a different rear bulk head which negatively affected the rear structure a tiny bit. I do not know if this is true or just an internet "wives tale" but I hate rattles, and have no use for them so in my case if I were ordering an E60, I would not order the fold down seats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
No rattles from the rear split fold downs in my '02 M5 either, but I did have an adult passenger comment that my rear seats were less comfortable then those in an '01 non-split seated M5--of course this is just one person's opinion and don't know if rear passenger comfort is even an issue for you or not.
PS--The ski bag comes in handy for hauling those really long florescent bulbs from the hardware store!
Anita
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
MAH said:
I concur that the split seats have been free of squeaks and rattles for 50,000 miles and have really come in handy from time to time at Home Depot.

When is it showing up Barry?

Mark
Placed my order YESTERDAY!!! Sept production, Oct delivery Status 112 today :7: :wroom: :cheers:
It's about F***ing time :noSMG:

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm getting them after all (even if it is less comfy for the folks in the back) I'm getting them rear seat heater so that may make up for it. :hihi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
MEnthusiast said:
Barry,
Ok, forget the seats- what color and options?! Tell us!!!
You asked so here goes.
I've ordered
Silver Grey Metalic
Silverstone Full Leather Int
Walnut Wood Trim
All options. (but from memory these are)
keeping the rear spoiler
Split rear seat
Rear seat heaters
Shades
M Seats w/Active bolsters
Rear Airbags
Comfort Access
HUD
Sirius
I have all the options so if I'm missing something I'm just forgetting.
I had a hard time justifying the full leather but when I config'd it on the UK site it looked a lot more "plush" with the extra lighter color leather breaking up the black from the floor carpet/mats and the huge dash, made me deside to drop the extra $3500. Once spending that what's another $800 to get the ventilated seats and so it went for all the gizmos. Basically all these creature comforts I'll try at least once. Never had vented seats, SMGIII, HUD, Active seats, a car without a key. So I'm being adventurous :viking:
1st allocation of 2 cars. Owner gets one and I get one :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49,476 Posts
Full leather in Silverstone will be spectacular! Dont let the kids eat chocolate ;)

You will not regret full leather, esp. for $3000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
Barry said:
You asked so here goes.
I've ordered
Silver Grey Metalic
Silverstone Full Leather Int
Walnut Wood Trim
All options. (but from memory these are)
keeping the rear spoiler
Split rear seat
Rear seat heaters
Shades
M Seats w/Active bolsters
Rear Airbags
Comfort Access
HUD
Sirius
I have all the options so if I'm missing something I'm just forgetting.
I had a hard time justifying the full leather but when I config'd it on the UK site it looked a lot more "plush" with the extra lighter color leather breaking up the black from the floor carpet/mats and the huge dash, made me deside to drop the extra $3500. Once spending that what's another $800 to get the ventilated seats and so it went for all the gizmos. Basically all these creature comforts I'll try at least once. Never had vented seats, SMGIII, HUD, Active seats, a car without a key. So I'm being adventurous :viking:
1st allocation of 2 cars. Owner gets one and I get one :D
Barry,

Sounds pretty interesting, but you are going to need a EE degree to figure it all out. Perhaps your wife can be the co-pilot and read the instructions as you drive along. I know you are not going to let the car sit in the driveway until you finish the manual!

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
ARGHHHH This is doing my head.

A MAJOR rattle from 2600 miles, and the dealer has yet to fix it, but its REALLY annoying me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts
Had the seats for 5years and don't even notice they're there.
:15:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
My MY2000 M5 had fold-down seats and they rattled some. I skipped the option on my 2001 and now again on the 2006.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well I hope mine don't rattle because rattels drive me nuts. From this thread, most folks seem to be happy with them.
As a matter of interest, every person that called or looked at my E39 M5 when it was for sale wanted the split rear seat which I never had!! So I'll make the next owner of the E60 happy and I hope as happy as I will be with them ??????
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top