BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. My 2006 M5 with 27k km under extended warranty started having a rattle sound coming from the rear/low part of the car. I have searched the forum and only found this thread similar to what I have - http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6.../117446-rattle-heard-outside-car-exhaust.html - specially what member EM_5 says he had on his car. I have taken the car to the dealear, it has been there for 10 days now, and they can't find what is happening, the source of the rattle.

They have heard it on their test drives, sometimes with 3 people in the car, and have eliminated all possible sources of the noise they could think of, such as something loose in the trunk, a loose exhaust, cables, having padded it all with foam tape. I told the lead technician I would write here for help and he nodded.

The noise seems to happen in low to mid rpms in the lower gears, under light acceleration or while coasting, or it's when it is more noticeable. Maybe it is there all the time but I just can't hear it in higher speeds due to the tyre and wind noise. Can it be the diff? To me that's where it is coming from...

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Victor

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Reactions: VictorHRS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mdyaman, I have this same problem also, which I had previously identified as being at the BC stalk. When the buzz started I would just lay my hand on the stalk and it would stop. I will try this foam solution, I thought I would have to replace the stalk. I also have one other rattle from the dash, but it worries/annoys me much less than the one I described above, which is from the rear part of the car, under/outside it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Victor, did you ever find out what the rattle was outside the car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet reesy, but I think I have narrowed from where the noise is coming. It seems to be from the left rear supension tower, I had a friend of mine ride in the boot of the car and that's where he told me the noise was coming. I still have to take the car to the dealer for them to continue looking for the problem. I'll write here when I find out.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks Victor. I think mine sounds like a heatshield or something. Got it booked in Tuesday next week. Hopefully get it sorted! I'll let you know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally found what it was, the rear right brake rotor was slightly loose. After tightening it, the rattle was gone. The dealership service people only found out the problem after I discovered that under braking the noise would cease almost completely...

Now I have other little noises and problems to deal with, and I'm much happier with the car now that the main thing that was bugging me is gone.

:M5launch:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts