BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 that I bought in August with 26,000 on the clock. Wonderful car. However, driving over brick, cobblestone, or over some sections of highway produced a rattle/buzz in the car that seemed to be coming from the front left corner of the dash where it meets the windshield. I could not pinpoint it.

Could it be a bad windshield mount?

A loose HUD bracket?

A screw rattling around in the front corner?

So I broke down and took it into the dealer.

I drove around with the shop foreman for at least 45 minutes, and he had me leave the car with him.

After two days, they said the car was ready for pickup.

I went for a drive, and he explained they put a felt covering between all the interior parts of the dash, so the car did get quieter, but it was still rattling.

He idenified the problem as the computer control buttons rattling on the turn stalk. He offered to replace the stalk for $200 with a new one, but the new one could do the same thing. Sure enough, when the car buzzed, the sound was bouncing all the way up to the front corner of the car (it didn't sound like the sound was coming from the turn signal).

I asked the foreman if I could stick some soft door/window insulation foam in the slots behind the button to dampen the buttons and stop the rattling.

He was skeptical, but told me to give it a shot.

Long story short, the problem is solved! And, yes, the buttons still work.:M5thumbs:

Here are the pics of my solution.

I hope this helps anyone else who has a noise in their cabin. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
thanks for the post.

I have a rattling where it seems to come from either the drivers door speaker, the steering wheel column, or somewhere...i just can't pin point it. hopefully your post will either identify or eleminate a possible source. Mine only happens on less than smooth roads / rough surfaces. Otherwise i don't hear it at all.

can you elaborate on how they identified the buttons as the source? As in while driving, they just held the buttons to see if it made the rattling stop?

also on how they put the foam in between the buttons? Did they have to take the button pieces off?

·
Registered
195 Posts
i have the exact same problem... i am a mechanic myself so i have had it figured out for months, just so lazy to fix it.. LOL now i'll give it a try.. i always held the buttons with my finger when going on bumps riding w/ the passengers. So no one thinks it a hooptie.. lol... Good post..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the post.

I have a rattling where it seems to come from either the drivers door speaker, the steering wheel column, or somewhere...i just can't pin point it. hopefully your post will either identify or eleminate a possible source. Mine only happens on less than smooth roads / rough surfaces. Otherwise i don't hear it at all.

can you elaborate on how they identified the buttons as the source? As in while driving, they just held the buttons to see if it made the rattling stop?

also on how they put the foam in between the buttons? Did they have to take the button pieces off?
Hi there. As you hear the rattle, hold the buttons. My rattle went away, so that was clearly the problem. If that doesn't work, put your hands over the steering wheel buttons (volume controls, etc) and see if that works.

As for the foam, I just cut off some small strips and shoved them in with some mechanic tweezers. You don't have to remove the buttons.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Hi there. As you hear the rattle, hold the buttons. My rattle went away, so that was clearly the problem. If that doesn't work, put your hands over the steering wheel buttons (volume controls, etc) and see if that works.

As for the foam, I just cut off some small strips and shoved them in with some mechanic tweezers. You don't have to remove the buttons.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
thanks for the response! I'll try this out first chance i get as soon as i hop in my car

should the buttons be the source of the rattling issue, any recommendations on what stores would sell the foam?<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the response! I'll try this out first chance i get as soon as i hop in my car

should the buttons be the source of the rattling issue, any recommendations on what stores would sell the foam?<!-- / message -->
ACE Hardware, Home Depot or Lowe's. Ask someone for door/window insulation foam.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
wow...low and behold that those buttons were indeed the culprit for the rattling. That is what makes this forum great - to share information!

well i'll be shopping for some insulation now...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is fantastic news! That thing was driving me CRAZY!!!!! I was really embarassed when I had a client in the car who is a fellow BMW nut and he couldn't stop talking about the noise. It was like "THAT'S IT!!!!". I was on a mission. Glad I was able to share and help at least one other board member.

Enjoy the silence!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had mine replaced with a new turn signal stalk. It seems like the new ones are redesigned and do not have this issue
That was the option I had. I was worried that eventually they'd rattle too.

I was going to go for it but the "free" fix with the foam I had in my garage worked out just as well.

I'm glad to hear the new stalks solve the problem too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Rattles will drive you crazy!! I had one a while back that occurred occasionally when I went over bumps. I figure that it was something in the suspension, but didn't know what exactly because it would happend all the time. After leaving my car with the dealer for three days it turns out it was an undercarriage bolt that was loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts