BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, this could potentially be a really stupid question but please bear with me. You got to ask questions to learn, right? I tried searching a bit but it didn't yield anything useful for me.

The weather was nice this weekend so I drove around with the windows down for the first time in a while. Without rolling the windows up, I cut off the engine and heard a rattling noise that lasted for 1/2 a second. I started the car back up and heard it again coming from the engine bay. Is this normal? I don't hear anything unusual while the car is turned on or while driving. It sort of sounds like a diesel engine cutting off if that makes any sense. No error codes or anything. Also the only thing I have done is the muffler delete. Could it be that the lack of the muffler's on my exhaust is allowing some noise to come through?

Perhaps I'm being paranoid and I hope I am. I haven't noticed it until recently since cutting the engine off with the windows down. With the windows up, I can't hear anything unusual.

Thanks for your help guys. If this is normal and I'm being a n00b, please be kind! :grinyes:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try again with clutch pedal down :)
Just a bit of tranny rattle I expect.
Thanks for the response!

If I don't hear the sound when cutting off the engine with the clutch pedal down (and is indeed a tranny rattle), should this be looked at? Does this mean something needs tightening?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thrust bearing also called clutch release bearing, had this noise on many cars.
Not something I'd change unless wanted a new clutch - see what others say though :hihihi:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thrust bearing also called clutch release bearing, had this noise on many cars.
Not something I'd change unless wanted a new clutch - see what others say though :hihihi:
I tested after work and as you stated, with the clutch engaged, it didn't make the noise at cut off. So, nothing to worry about right? It doesn't mean the clutch or anything is going to fail soon?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
480 Posts
mine does that too- clutch rattle on shut down.

Look at it this way, the M5 was an extreme motorheads' car when it came out- a bespoke engine and all- if it was meant for little old ladies to go shopping in, they would have engineered out the clutch rattle- in this case those clever german engineers spent their time making it go faster for us nutters!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mine does that too- clutch rattle on shut down.

Look at it this way, the M5 was an extreme motorheads' car when it came out- a bespoke engine and all- if it was meant for little old ladies to go shopping in, they would have engineered out the clutch rattle- in this case those clever german engineers spent their time making it go faster for us nutters!
So it's fairly normal and nothing to worry about or is it something that will need attention sometime down the line? I just don't want to overlook something that might turn into a bigger issue later.

Thanks!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wouldn't pay it any mind.
Last clutch I fitted the new release bearing looked and felt like it would rattle, didn't fit like one on there, so left old one on.
No clutch expert by a long way though.
If you were listening for it prob hear it on many cars, M5 is heavy duty compared to run of mill cars too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldn't pay it any mind.
Last clutch I fitted the new release bearing looked and felt like it would rattle, didn't fit like one on there, so left old one on.
No clutch expert by a long way though.
If you were listening for it prob hear it on many cars, M5 is heavy duty compared to run of mill cars too.
Coolio. Thanks for your input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts