BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the garage changing the oil and power steering fluid on my new (to me) M5 and removed the front plastic undercarriage assembly. Lo and behold, what did I find? A moderately sized rats nest that had apparently been there a little while. The nest was made up of a bit of the engine bay liner (later found to be on the driver's side right under the cabin filter), a chunk of the windshield wiper fluid hose, some rubber (later found to be the water drain hose from the passenger side cabin filter and the left side MAF connector boot), and two wires. The wires were both the exact same length, one yellow/blue and the other brown. Wouldn't you know that the passenger side turn signal (the one on the fender) isn't working!

I'm not sure if this damage occurred before or after I bought the car (and I don't really care... I'm putting out rat traps anyways), but it was definitely a little bit of a damper to my easy little project. I've already ordered all the replacement parts (other than the engine bay liner, which would be ridiculously hard to replace) so the project list continues to grow.

I've already done a lot of work on the car (too much to list), but I hadn't yet dropped that particular underbody piece. Thankfully all the replacement parts are cheap (thanks forum for providing all of the VERY difficult to find parts numbers, like the MAF connector boot).

I have a hard time believing that a good PPI (which I got done) wouldn't have found this, but you never know. Apparently, our cars are quite delicious. I've never had ANY trouble with rats around here before. My NSX sat in my garage for two deployments overseas without incident, and I've only had this car a month.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The rats wanted to go for a ride in the beast lol, but on the serious note the car been siting for a while. Hope they didn't mess up your wires rats love low voltage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wires ended up being for the passenger side fender turn signal. I pulled the fender liner to check and found the problem immediately. Soldered in some new wires and I'm back in business. Thankfully, the other parts they chewed only cost me about $50 from Tischer. I consider myself very lucky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts