BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

How do you rate the condition of your E34 //M5?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading Wout's post in a previous thread, I quote his words below:

"E34 condition 1 (that is what I would call, original paint all around or VERY good respray, low mileage, fast engine tight box, lots of money spent on seals , rubbers,shocks,brakes,maintenance) should cost between 13-20k Euro's. Mind you, I have only seen about two to four of these cars.

Condition 2 (which most of the ' finished ' cars on this board are, and mine will be after the respray, meaning all troubles addressed , lots of money spent on all aspects) should do some 7,5-11k euro's

Condition 3 ( most cars advertised, some rust or dents/scratches, generally well looked after, lots of money spent but still some to come , scruffy around the edges, minor drivetrain trouble) should cost between 4,5 and 6k euro's

Condition 4 ( rust, dents, non-original parts, drivetrain trouble like synchros, in need of cash injection or conversion into trackcar) should cost around 4k euro's.

Condition 5 (basket case, only to be restored if it has an interesting line to it like it being the last/first production or very rare color) should still always do 2k euro's, even without engine "

So how do you rate your vehicle. will be interesting to see the ownership profile active on this Board?

[Not to be presumptious, but I reckon I've got something between a 1 and a 2]

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Mine is a 3, although it will be a 2 when it's finished - although the cooling system is a 0 ;)

My old 3.8 was a 2, right up until it became a 5!

·
10,456 Posts
i voted mine a strong 3. Original paint in good condition, getting a little thin around the edges. Very nice interior, other than a worn drivers bolster (but you don't see that when i'm sitting in the seat!). Good drivetrain, maintainance up to day, proper updates. Pouring money into it on a weekly basis, so that must be worth something!

I can still find plenty of flaws though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think I would class mine as condition 3.

The paintwork is a bit flat, and has some scratches. The interior is great, apart from the drivers seat, which has wear on the outside bolster.

The mechanicals are generally good, Intake falp is inop, and I need some bushes, but other than that, normal stuff........

*Holds/rubs large piece of wood*

Just had insp II, and bit, and is now being properly looked after.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'm voting mine a 2, but in reality I know its a 1.5...
Just a few trivial items stopping it being condition 1.

These I aim to address this year, but as I use the car as intended
I'll resist turning it into a garage queen !

I bought the car at 5 years old from its original owner with 40k
on the clock. Never had paint, rear seats unused, spare never used
complete with original tyre etc etc.

Only 5 people have driven the car in the past 9 years
(Farrell you are privileged ;) )

Alan.

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ATT: All "Condition 1" owners:nono:

In order to ensure proper validation and due diligence, inserting close up pics of interior, engine bay and bodywork are mandatory in this thread:trophy_bronze:

:hihi:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I listed mine as #3. It has original paint, no dings rust or scratches, a couple of rock chips the head liner is sagging, there is a tear in the drivers side bolster, and the rear is rideing low and hard. The engine compartment looks bad as it is still completly covered in shipping wax that will be a real pain to remove. The car has 100k km on it and the engine and tranny feel very good. As I own it I look forward to turing it into a 2 or 1. But I can not score it any better than a 3. This post is useless with out pics. Body interior, and engine! I will try and figure out how as this is my second post!

New wires on the way than I will put the cover back on.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Only seen one Con1 car in last 5 yrs in UK imho.
That car is now in Nigeria.

Seen lots of con2 cars that would have been con1 but have accident damage
& / or have been jacked up by Ray Charles & Stevie Wonder.

Such is life.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I have polled 2

would say 1 but 135k stops that, have done paintwork and IMO stunning. Car is not without fault, but show me one that is:eek::eek:

Good post:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Very nice Steve,

I can clearly see why the old girl swayed you over the E39 beastie

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Very nice Steve,

I can clearly see why the old girl swayed you over the E39 beastie

:cheers:
Thanks Alan:thumbsup:

Still not rid of the e39 yet but hey with the crap clouds looming over the 4x4's these days i can take my time:M5launch:

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Gentlemen

One thing has to be very clear, not many cars are condition one. The only ones I have seen so far to apply are Jon Baker's Daytona, Blutarsky's Sebring and probably Dchyde's previous 3.8.

I have seen Steviesams old car and Eriks new car, from the exterior it seemed cond 1 but haven't seen more of the car to pass judgement.

Its also a matter of perspective, as some people won't appreciate a non-original car.

On behalf of mr GeorgeK's recent suspension swap , I think this subject has been covered enough, but I think its only fair to say that in the international world of car values, we can only compared completely stock cars to completely stock cars. So, my car will never reach condition one with the SLS delete and the brakes I am about to fit.

Note aswell that its not an indicator of how happy you become by owning the car! My M535 was a definate condition 5 when I got it, but I decided to walk the trackcar route which gives me a lot of joy in the process.

Wout

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mine is a solid 3. Lots of money spent, runs well, needs a few touch ups on the body, mint interior.
Will get resprayed properly one day.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'd have to say mine is a solid 2.5.

My engine has lots of new parts and is 100% dry. It's one of the very few engines that makes 340bhp after a light tune on my dyno.

Box and diff are excellent and dry.

I doubt many interiors have that brand new unstretched leather mine has, I can only thank previous owners!

The only thing that lets mine down is the bodywork and engine bay. Even though it's been resprayed the painter didnit pay enough attention to detail by not removing some small pin dents and not replacing a complete door and instead using a light amount of filler.
However, it does have that 'brand new' look to it.
My engine bay requires some few minor bits to make it 100% perfect.

My suspension is obviously rebuilt and not factory BMW which is a downer in some people's books as it's not endurance tested.

I have a steering rack with only the slightest amount of play.

For a car to be '1' it has to be pretty damn amazing!

·
10,456 Posts

For a car to be '1' it has to be pretty damn amazing!
I'd agree with that, would have to be a near museum piece! (which is not nearly as fun as a solid 2+ car can be, imho, you'd be afraid to hurt it)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'd say a 3

All orignal except for SLS/LAD delete.

Perfect interior, cd player works, roof works, trans been rebuilt

But it's got some rock chips, and some curb rash

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine is a truly 1 folks. You won't find a nicer e34 M5.:trophy_bronze:
34.5K original kms. Tight as a drum, solid as a ingot, shiny as a sapphire
Complete leather
Rear heated seats.
Side blinds and rear electric blind
Servotronic
etc
etc.
I plan to put on about 5K kms a year of non winter driving, so she should last a while.
The only car I have seen with lower kms is that Japanese one that has never been driven.
Picts in the picts thread.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine would be as close to Terry's as you can get, only flaw is door panel leather is shrinking slightly, any way to fix this? Other than that, 59,300 documented km's, Original paint, no dings or chips, Super clean, even has the original floor mats and doesn't look like it has seen the rain! Got to love the way some J-Spec cars are, this one was obviously garaged it's entire life!! You Be the Judge!! Sorry Date on pictures is wrong taken a couple of weeks ago, please note, this car came off the boat like this, I just washed the exterior, I will post more pics after it has been detailed!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts