BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who has done a muffler delete, reinstalled their stock or purchased an aftermarket market for any reason???? :wroom:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have not, but if you are on the fence about the muffler delete, you might want to think about Cutouts. I have the QTPs but there are others as well.
The cutouts allow you to press a button to open or close the cutouts, making the muffler delete reversible at the touch of a button.
Also allows you to pass emissions... (although we have no emissions check in Florida)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nope, cut those boat anchors off and have not looked back! Should not effect emissions or cause error codes. Only reason I could think of is if your state has noise level restrictions.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am definatly cutting them off.. i was just wondering if i should hold on to the mufflers in a storage

·
Registered
631 Posts
i am definatly cutting them off.. i was just wondering if i should hold on to the mufflers in a storage
I held onto mine for a while and just recently scrapped them. They're huge and take up a ton of room, I will never put them back on so no reason to keep them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an E64 and I had the muffler delete done last year. It's loud! I find the only draw back with the delete is that at higher rpm's 3500 - 5000 rpm you get a raspy sound (which i really didn't like). Therefore I picked up an after market system and now the sound is very similar but slightly tuned and no rasp. If you have the money then go for the after market, you get what you pay for.

My two cents, hope that helps.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I kept mine just for selling the car if they want it stock. They are never going back on as long as I own the car though. Right now, those boat anchors are in the corner of the garage....with my old Porsche 996 exhaust I need to sell.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
which after market system did you go with

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have shop made cutouts that have to be bolted on or off. I leave the caps off 100% off the time, for me it was no point in having the electric or cable system.
I like the outcome but I am also looking to remove either the cats or muffler.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Cutouts are also a great choice.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The electric cutouts are great because there are times when you don't want to be loud, like leaving for the airport at 4:30am and not wanting to wake the entire street. Or pulling in or out of a church service or funeral. Or, wanting to make a quiet hands free call. I experienced each situation in the last two weeks.
I usually close them when pulling into the driveway or onto my street, and open them back up about a block from the house.
Besides everything else, they are cool to play with and show off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update... I cut the mufflers off on Saturday... And I couldn't be happier..... The one minor issue is the "cold-start"..., holyS--t it's loud... But over all I'm happy

·
Registered
690 Posts
Just an update... I cut the mufflers off on Saturday... And I couldn't be happier..... The one minor issue is the "cold-start"..., holyS--t it's loud... But over all I'm happy
Nice! Join the club!

What tips did you go with? Post pics :M5launch:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the tips from board member suckaGdog I will post pics when I get a chance

1 - 15 of 15 Posts