BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title says it all. An SUV hit a deer. The car behind it ran it over. The animal, quite a large deer (with a generous amount of blood,chunks and various stuff flying out of it) shot out from underneath that car direcly in my path. I was traveling about 70 mph with no where to go to avoid it. I straddled it and could hear it thumping and rolling under the car.

It ran fine and was only a half mile or so to the nearest exit. I pulled off to check on the mangled SUV and its driver and could smell cooking blood and hair under my car. A quick look revealed absolute bloody carnage. There were pieces of flesh,dripping blood, hair and chunks of innards coating my car from front to back.

All the 02 sensors had been torn from their connections. The front bumper cover was loose and the lower grill portion was kinda mashed up. The rear diffuser was torn halfway off. The worst was the fact I had the splash guards removed as several fasteners are missing and I was in the process of geting new ones. The oil pan is hairy and gory.

I was able to baby it home (about 3 miles) on back roads and its since been towed to an Indy that I have used before.

No fault acording to progressive and a 250 dollar deductible. This was Monday and I havent heard anthing from the shop or the insurance company yet.

I only have crappy cell phone pics of the damage and quite frankly...you wouldn't want to see it. There was a puddle of blood the size of a dinner plate under my car.

I hope it's not to badly damaged.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Very sorry to hear that. Hopefully damage wont be too bad and all it needs is a good cleaning underneath other then the aforementioned O2's.

Im in east PA and right now there are just deer laying everywhere. The ones hit by rigs are especially interesting and scary at the same time as the only way you know it was a deer is that a pelt is just laying there.

Good luck with the repairs and I hope they get everything back to 100% for you in a short time.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yikes always afraid of deer we have so many also and have seen horrific pics of deer in windshields etc. Glad you are safe and no other injuries.

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Sounds like you will get it sorted out OP. It is certainly unfortunate but you'll get through it and the car will be back on the road in no time (with new parts to boot!)
Man that sucks.. had a close run in with a deer the other day, my brakes work great :)

But hey it could be worse.. you could be this guy

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121885&stc=1&d=1200187409
I think there is some sort of Godwin's law regarding BMW owners hitting a deer and referencing that guy!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Lesson learned. I know I wasn't there, but it's probably a good idea to increase following distances. I'd kind of understand if you were the next car, but there's really no excuse to be the third car to hit an object that big. And stay focused on the objects/road ahead of you; not the car.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Wow, insane. Glad you're OK. Hope you bring the M5 back.

Lesson learned, always, always create space between you and those ahead. When it comes to semis, I am quick to pass or let them go - who knows what they'll kick up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lesson learned. I know I wasn't there, but it's probably a good idea to increase following distances. I'd kind of understand if you were the next car, but there's really no excuse to be the third car to hit an object that big. And stay focused on the objects/road ahead of you; not the car.[/quote

Allow me to add a few details...

I didnt see the first car hit the deer. I saw it pulled over on the exit when I got off. The deer flew out from under the car in front of me. As it bounced merrily down the road I jogged halfway into the fast lane until the solid mass of flailing legs and body parts began tumbling that way. At that point I had the choice to run over its impressively large body with my passenger side tires or stop my eveasive manuever and straddle it. I took this as the safest choice as I felt bodily squashing it with my tires may have wrecked me. I also let off the brakes at this point as there was a fair amount of traffic and continuing to decellerate wasnt prudent. So I wasn't really following that close and I was most assuredly focused on what was happening. :)

BTW the SUV that hit the thing was demolished. Whole front end caved in and steam rolling out. The driver was shaken up but OK with some help on the way. See...BMW owners are nice !!

Reactions: zaid

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guy in the for sale section has an awesome deal on a full set of O2 sensors

Might look into that...My estimate is $2500 bucks. Its getting a new rear bumber and diffuser an exhaust bracket and a thourough underbody cleaning. I'm unsure if the sensors will get repaced or not.....should have it back in a week.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Lesson learned. I know I wasn't there, but it's probably a good idea to increase following distances. I'd kind of understand if you were the next car, but there's really no excuse to be the third car to hit an object that big. And stay focused on the objects/road ahead of you; not the car.
If he was the third car it wasn't that big by then.... :biggrinbounce:

Plus in all seriousness, there isn't always room to dodge things in the road...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hope your damage is all body only. It can be maddening how little things go wrong on these cars. But in emergency situations the build quality comes through. Couple is graphic walked away unhurt.

Never hit a dear, but I've had to deal with insurance companies and shops before. One piece of advice -- stay involved. Call constantly, and make sure you understand exactly what is being done. And are satisfied with that.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts