BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may be familiar already...interesting performance numbers between M5 E39 and E60
here's the site

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Seems like a giant amount of momney to trade up to an E60 for the very small increase in performance and I am guessing that a lot of that extra performance is only going to be realized by a proffesional driver.

Mark

oh yes, and the E60 still has that ugly look and i-drive and no stick and.......

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm with you on this......and apparently crappy tires too!!

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
greer said:
Great comparison site. Seeing them head to head is great.
It appears the E60 stock is a little better handler than the E39 stock. I wonder how much of the 15 second quicker time arond the Ring is attributable to the extra 100hp?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
GregC said:
I'm with you on this......and apparently crappy tires too!!
15 sec/lap around the Nordschleife is a lot faster.

2 sec/lap around Hockenheim is quite a bit faster.

That isn't to say I'm planning to run out and buy one. It's still an E60, and they put all the new power up above 6000RPM.

Odd about the tires, elsewhere I've read rather complimentary things about them, we've got a set of the SportContact 2's on my wife's 540i and so far they're one of the stickiest, crispest-responding road tires I've yet driven.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems the 7 speed apparently works suprisingly well !!! In addition I'm certain there's a small benefit in the larger wheels and tires also over the E39....I'd be curious to see the E39 times with the E60 shoes.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
What stuck me was the gas milage :confused2
........min.....avg....max
e39...10.5...14.7...20.8
e60...15.2...19.7...27.5

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
boostmiser said:
What stuck me was the gas milage
I hadn't noticed that. Interesting.

As for the E39 vs the E60, I'd like to see what an E39 would do with the E60's brakes and a little more negative camber in front.

Oh, another point of comparison - the Cadillac CTS-V's ($51K sticker, street price in mid $40K range) published Nordschleife time is 8m19s, which neatly splits the difference between the E39 and E60.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
boostmiser said:
What stuck me was the gas milage :confused2
........min.....avg....max
e39...10.5...14.7...20.8
e60...15.2...19.7...27.5
That wasn't a rate value but instead a total amount consumed in litres I think.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
CSBM5 said:
That wasn't a rate value but instead a total amount consumed in litres I think.
That certainly changes things, and corresponds with rumors that the E60 M5 is a gas hog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts